India likely to cut disinvestment goal by 40% for FY25, Economic Times reports

India likely to cut disinvestment goal by 40% for FY25, Economic Times reports


Rupee coin.

Abhishek Mehta | Moment | Getty Images

India will likely cut its disinvestment and asset monetization target by 40% for 2024-25 in the federal budget to be presented next month, The Economic Times newspaper reported on Saturday, as planned sales of state-run firms run into a host of setbacks.

The government will likely revise the target to less than 300 billion rupees ($3.47 billion) from the initial 500 billion rupees, the newspaper said, citing people aware of the deliberations.

The government may set the target at about 450 billion rupees to 500 billion rupees for the next fiscal year, as it intends to conclude the IDBI Bank transaction and step up its asset monetization bid, the report said.

The Finance Ministry did not immediately respond to a Reuters’ email seeking comment.

The Indian government, which owns 45.48% in IDBI Bank, and state-owned Life Insurance Corp of India which holds 49.24%, together plan to sell 60.7% of the lender. The sale process was first announced in 2022.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s administration moved from the usual practise of setting a stake sale target in its budget presented last year.

Modi’s ambition of privatizing state-run firms has taken a back seat due to regulatory hurdles, complex decision-making, political considerations and valuation issues, but his government has delivered more stake sales than any previous administration.

The government has raised 86.25 billion rupees from disinvestments so far in this fiscal year.

The government will continue to reduce its stakes in some entities via the offer-for-sale route, the report added.



Source

The Tech Download: China’s AI surge — real threat or hype?
World

The Tech Download: China’s AI surge — real threat or hype?

This report is from this week’s The Tech Download newsletter. Like what you see? You can subscribe here. Most of the world’s population could be running on a Chinese tech stack in five to 10 years, one analyst told CNBC’s “Squawk Box Europe” earlier this week. The U.S.’ “perceived monopoly” on tech and AI has been […]

Read More
Trump could attack Iran in days — what’s at stake for the oil market
World

Trump could attack Iran in days — what’s at stake for the oil market

A full-blown war between the United States and Iran could, in a worst-case scenario, send oil prices soaring and cause an economic downturn. With a massive U.S. military buildup underway in the Middle East, President Donald Trump signaled Thursday that he will decide in the next 10 days whether to launch strikes against Iran. “This […]

Read More
Oil prices hit six-month highs after Trump warns Iran of ‘bad things’ if there’s no deal
World

Oil prices hit six-month highs after Trump warns Iran of ‘bad things’ if there’s no deal

US President Donald Trump speaks to reporters on Air Force One before taking off from Joint Base Andrews, Maryland on Feb. 19, 2026. Saul Loeb | AFP | Getty Images Oil prices hovered near six-month highs on Friday after U.S. President Donald Trump warned Iran that “really bad things” will happen if there was no […]

Read More