Trump ‘Truths’ about tariffs on films and furniture raise questions on details

Trump ‘Truths’ about tariffs on films and furniture raise questions on details


US President Donald Trump speaks with the press on the South Lawn of the White House on Friday September 26, 2025.

Demetrius Freeman | The Washington Post | Getty Images

President Donald Trump on Monday said he would impose a 100% tariff on foreign-made films and slap “substantial Tariffs” on any country that does not make furniture in the United States.

Trump’s statements left key questions about the plans unanswered.

In a pair of Truth Social posts, Trump claimed that California’s movie-making business and North Carolina’s furniture industry have been lost to other countries, and that the new duties on imports would reverse the slide.

“Our movie making business has been stolen from the United States of America, by other Countries, just like stealing ‘candy from a baby,'” Trump wrote. “Therefore, in order to solve this long time, never ending problem, I will be imposing a 100% Tariff on any and all movies that are made outside of the United States.”

Trump made an identical threat to tariff foreign-made films in May.

But the White House quickly softened its tone and no action was taken. It was unclear what, if anything, was different between Trump’s prior threat and his current one.

Separately on Monday, Trump wrote, “I will be imposing substantial Tariffs on any Country that does not make its furniture in the United States.”

Read more CNBC politics coverage

That statement raised the question of whether Trump would go beyond his vow last week to slap 50% duties on imports of kitchen and bathroom furnishings, as well as 30% tariffs on upholstered furniture.

Those product-specific tariffs, which Trump also unveiled on social media, will take effect starting Wednesday, he wrote at the time.

The White House did not immediately respond to CNBC’s questions about Trump’s latest tariff threats.



Source

Labor Secretary’s husband barred from HQ after sexual assault claims, NY Times reports
Politics

Labor Secretary’s husband barred from HQ after sexual assault claims, NY Times reports

Shawn DeRemer, husband of Lori Chavez-DeRemer, U.S. President Trump’s nominee to be secretary of labor, sits, on the day Chavez-DeRemer testifies before a Senate Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions (HELP) Committee confirmation hearing on Capitol Hill in Washington, D.C., U.S., Feb. 19, 2025. Kent Nishimura | Reuters At least two female staffers have made allegations […]

Read More
Epstein would ‘name drop’ Trump, Les Wexner says in deposition video
Politics

Epstein would ‘name drop’ Trump, Les Wexner says in deposition video

Les Wexner speaks during a deposition about Jeffrey Epstein. Courtesy: GOP Oversight via YouTube Jeffrey Epstein would “name drop” President Donald Trump as one of the many high-profile people he claimed to know, billionaire retail magnate Leslie Wexner said this week in a congressional deposition about the notorious sex offender. The 88-year-old Wexner, who was […]

Read More
Epstein files: Former prince Andrew released by police, Trump calls his arrest ‘a shame’
Politics

Epstein files: Former prince Andrew released by police, Trump calls his arrest ‘a shame’

Andrew Mountbatten Windsor, younger brother of Britain’s King Charles, formerly known as Prince Andrew, leaves Aylsham Police Station on a vehicle, on the day he was arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office, after the U.S. Justice Department released more records tied to the late financier and convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein, in Aylsham, […]

Read More