Trump signals more tariff letters coming Wednesday

Trump signals more tariff letters coming Wednesday


President Donald Trump, accompanied by U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio (L) and U.S. Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth (R), discusses his decorating of the Cabinet Room during a cabinet meeting at the White House on July 08, 2025 in Washington, DC.

Andrew Harnik | Getty Images

President Donald Trump signaled he would send more letters Wednesday dictating new U.S. tariff rates on a slew of countries’ imports, leaning into his aggressive approach to resetting America’s global trade relationships.

The Trump administration “will be releasing a minimum of 7 Countries having to do with trade, tomorrow morning,” Trump wrote in a Truth Social post on Tuesday evening.

An “additional number of Countries” will be “released” Wednesday afternoon, he wrote.

While the wording of Trump’s post was unclear, he appeared to be suggesting that he will repeat his actions from Monday, when he shared screenshots of letters telling 14 countries’ leaders that their exports to the U.S. would face steep new tariffs starting Aug. 1.

The nearly identical two-page letters signed by Trump were sent to Japan, South Korea, Malaysia,  Kazakhstan, South Africa, Laos, Myanmar, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Tunisia, Indonesia, Bangladesh, Serbia, Cambodia and Thailand.

The rates for each country range from 25% to 40%. The letters note that the U.S. will “perhaps” consider adjusting the new tariff levels, “depending on our relationship with your Country.”

Many of those rates are close to what Trump had imposed as part of his “liberation day” tariff rollout on April 2, which set a 10% baseline levy for nearly all countries on earth and slapped much higher duties on dozens of individual nations.

Read more CNBC politics coverage

That announcement sparked a week of turmoil in global trading markets, which only ended when Trump abruptly said he would pause those higher rates for 90 days.

That reprieve was set to expire Wednesday. But on Monday, Trump signed an executive order delaying the tariff deadline until Aug. 1.

In another post earlier Tuesday, Trump asserted that “there will be no change” to the August start date.

“No extensions will be granted,” he said.

This is developing news. Please check back for updates.



Source

Hyatt Chairman Pritzker leaves board over Epstein ties
Politics

Hyatt Chairman Pritzker leaves board over Epstein ties

Thomas Pritzker, executive chairman of Hyatt Hotels Corp., speaks during the Milken Institute Global Conference in Beverly Hills, California, U.S., on Wednesday, May 2, 2018. The conference brings together leaders in business, government, technology, philanthropy, academia, and the media to discuss actionable and collaborative solutions to some of the most important questions of our time. […]

Read More
Cuba suspends annual cigar festival as U.S. oil blockade deepens energy crisis
Politics

Cuba suspends annual cigar festival as U.S. oil blockade deepens energy crisis

A female worker operates a machine during the rolling process at the mechanized cigar factory in Havana on May 8, 2025. Adalberto Roque | Afp | Getty Images An annual cigar festival in Cuba’s capital city of Havana, which had been due to take place over five days in late February, has been suspended until […]

Read More
No clear path to ending the partial government shutdown as lawmakers dig in over DHS oversight
Politics

No clear path to ending the partial government shutdown as lawmakers dig in over DHS oversight

The US Capitol in Washington, DC, US, on Wednesday, Jan. 21, 2026. Graeme Sloane | Bloomberg | Getty Images Lawmakers and the White House offered no signs of compromise Sunday in their battle over oversight of federal immigration officers that has led to a pause in funding for the Department of Homeland Security. A partial […]

Read More