Trump sends Tom Homan to Minnesota to manage ICE after Alex Pretti killing

Trump sends Tom Homan to Minnesota to manage ICE after Alex Pretti killing


White House Border Czar Tom Homan speaks on FOX News on the North Lawn of the White House on February 6, 2025 in Washington, DC. 

Andrew Harnik | Getty Images

Trump administration border czar Tom Homan will head to Minnesota to manage U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement’s on-the-ground operations there in the wake of Alex Pretti’s killing by federal agents in Minneapolis, President Donald Trump and the White House said Monday.

“Tom is tough but fair, and will report directly to me,” Trump said in a Truth Social post.

White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt said in a separate social media post that Homan will coordinate with officials leading ongoing investigations into fraud schemes in Minnesota.

Trump’s post said Homan has not previously been involved in Minnesota, where thousands of federal agents have been deployed in recent weeks to carry out the Trump administration’s aggressive deportation agenda.

Two U.S. citizens have been killed in Minneapolis in less than a month in altercations with federal agents.

Renee Nicole Good, a 37-year-old mother of three, was fatally shot by ICE agent Jonathan Ross on Jan. 7 as she began to drive her SUV after another agent ordered her out of the car.

On Saturday, Alex Pretti, a 37-year-old intensive care unit nurse in Minneapolis, was shot and killed by federal officers.

Both killings occurred in daylight in front of witnesses and were caught on video from multiple angles, massively ratcheting up the already-intense scrutiny over immigration agents’ tactics and training.

In both cases, numerous Trump administration officials rushed to defend the agents’ actions as justified, while making claims about the incidents that later analyses found were contradicted by the available video evidence.

On the same day that Pretti was killed, the Department of Homeland Security claimed in a statement that he approached U.S. Border Patrol officers with a handgun and, after they attempted to disarm him, “violently resisted.”

Later, Border Patrol commander-at-large Greg Bovino claimed Pretti may have been intending to “massacre law enforcement.”

But videos show Pretti holding up a phone as the confrontation begins. And the clips also appear to show one officer removing a weapon from Pretti’s person prior to any shots being fired.

Pretti was believed to be a lawful gun owner with a permit to carry his weapon, Minneapolis Police Chief Brian O’Hara said at a press conference.

Protesters hold a vigil for Alex Pretti, the man fatally shot by federal immigration enforcement the previous day in Minneapolis, United States, on January 25, 2026.

Arthur Maiorella | Anadolu | Getty Images

This is breaking news. Please refresh for updates.



Source

Democrats send Trump DHS funding counteroffer as agency shutdown grinds on
Politics

Democrats send Trump DHS funding counteroffer as agency shutdown grinds on

U.S. Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) (C), joined by House Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries (D-N.Y.) (L) and House Homeland Security Chairman Bennie Thompson (D-Miss.) hold a press conference on Department of Homeland Security (DHS) funding at the U.S. Capitol on Feb. 04, 2026 in Washington, DC. Kevin Dietsch | Getty Images Congressional Democrats sent […]

Read More
Hyatt Chairman Pritzker leaves board over Epstein ties
Politics

Hyatt Chairman Pritzker leaves board over Epstein ties

Thomas Pritzker, executive chairman of Hyatt Hotels Corp., speaks during the Milken Institute Global Conference in Beverly Hills, California, U.S., on Wednesday, May 2, 2018. The conference brings together leaders in business, government, technology, philanthropy, academia, and the media to discuss actionable and collaborative solutions to some of the most important questions of our time. […]

Read More
Cuba suspends annual cigar festival as U.S. oil blockade deepens energy crisis
Politics

Cuba suspends annual cigar festival as U.S. oil blockade deepens energy crisis

A female worker operates a machine during the rolling process at the mechanized cigar factory in Havana on May 8, 2025. Adalberto Roque | Afp | Getty Images An annual cigar festival in Cuba’s capital city of Havana, which had been due to take place over five days in late February, has been suspended until […]

Read More