Trump says Mexico, Canada tariffs will start March 4, plus additional 10% on China

Trump says Mexico, Canada tariffs will start March 4, plus additional 10% on China


U.S. President Donald Trump hosts his first cabinet meeting with Elon Musk in attendance, Washington, D.C., U.S., February 26, 2025. 

Brian Snyder | Reuters

President Donald Trump on Thursday said that his proposed tariffs on Mexico and Canada will go into effect on March 4, and that China will be charged an additional 10% tariff on the same date.

The sweeping 25% tariffs on imports from Mexico and Canada had been paused on Feb. 3 for one month. But the Trump administration has recently sown confusion about whether they would go back into effect when the delays expired.

In a Truth Social post Thursday morning, Trump clarified that they would.

He claimed that illicit drugs “are still pouring into our Country from Mexico and Canada at very high and unacceptable levels,” despite pledges from both U.S. neighbors to boost their efforts to police their borders.

“We cannot allow this scourge to continue to harm the USA, and therefore, until it stops, or is seriously limited, the proposed TARIFFS scheduled to go into effect on MARCH FOURTH will, indeed, go into effect, as scheduled,” Trump wrote.

He also announced that China, which already faces 10% U.S. tariffs on its products, “will likewise be charged an additional 10% Tariff on that date.”

Trump added, “The April Second Reciprocal Tariff date will remain in full force and effect.”

Dow Jones Industrial Average futures turned slightly negative following Trump’s post.

The president’s post contradicted a timeline laid out earlier Thursday morning on CNBC’s “Squawk Box” by White House National Economic Council director Kevin Hassett.

Citing Trump’s public remarks at his first Cabinet meeting a day earlier, Hassett said the president would decide on “tariff policy for all countries” after evaluating a study set for April 1.

Trump in that meeting “extended by saying that we’re going to deal with Mexico and Canada, presumably the same time we deal with everything else,” Hassett said.

NEC Director Kevin Hassett: President Trump has a 'super pro-growth' agenda

This is breaking news. Please refresh for updates.



Source

Sen. Warren tells Fed and Treasury: No bailout for crypto billionaires
Politics

Sen. Warren tells Fed and Treasury: No bailout for crypto billionaires

Senator Elizabeth Warren, a Democrat from Massachusetts and ranking member of Senate Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs Committee, speaks during a hearing in Washington, DC, US, on Thursday, Feb. 5, 2026. Kent Nishimura | Bloomberg | Getty Images Sen. Elizabeth Warren asked the Treasury Department and the Federal Reserve on Wednesday to confirm that they […]

Read More
Trump fans flames of election access as Republican support grows for national voter ID mandate
Politics

Trump fans flames of election access as Republican support grows for national voter ID mandate

U.S. President Donald Trump stops and talks to the media before he boards Marine One on the South Lawn at the White House on June 15, 2025 in Washington, DC. Tasos Katopodis | Getty Images President Donald Trump is escalating his crusade for voter-identification requirements after last week’s promise of an executive order to implement […]

Read More
Trump administration releases 7 million in overdue funds for New York-New Jersey Gateway tunnel project president had called a ‘future boondoggle’
Politics

Trump administration releases $127 million in overdue funds for New York-New Jersey Gateway tunnel project president had called a ‘future boondoggle’

The Gateway Tunnel site near W. 30th St. and 11th Ave. in Hudson Yards, Manhattan on Oct. 23, 2025. Barry Williams | New York Daily News | Getty Images The Trump administration on Wednesday released the rest of the funds it had been withholding for the construction of a major rail tunnel between Manhattan and […]

Read More