Trump recommends 50% tariff on European Union starting June 1

Trump recommends 50% tariff on European Union starting June 1


President Trump threatens new tariffs against the EU

President Donald Trump on Friday said he is “recommending a straight 50% Tariff on the European Union” after complaining that trade negotiations have stalled.

The steep new import duties would start on June 1, Trump wrote on Truth Social.

The EU “has been very difficult to deal with,” Trump wrote. “Our discussions with them are going nowhere!”

Trump’s announcement came less than 30 minutes after he threatened to impose a tariff of at least 25% on Apple if the company does not start manufacturing iPhones in the United States.

Stock futures sank immediately following Trump’s posts, which showed the president once again wielding the threat of massive import taxes in response to economic activity he disfavors.

Read Trump’s full post:

The European Union, which was formed for the primary purpose of taking advantage of the United States on TRADE, has been very difficult to deal with. Their powerful Trade Barriers, Vat Taxes, ridiculous Corporate Penalties, Non-Monetary Trade Barriers, Monetary Manipulations, unfair and unjustified lawsuits against Americans Companies, and more, have led to a Trade Deficit with the U.S. of more than $250,000,000 a year, a number which is totally unacceptable. Our discussions with them are going nowhere! Therefore, I am recommending a straight 50% Tariff on the European Union, starting on June 1, 2025. There is no Tariff if the product is built or manufactured in the United States. Thank you for your attention to this matter!

This is breaking news. Please refresh for updates.



Source

Supreme Court Trump tariffs ruling could put U.S. on hook for 5 billion in refunds, estimate says
Politics

Supreme Court Trump tariffs ruling could put U.S. on hook for $175 billion in refunds, estimate says

U.S. President Donald Trump delivers remarks on tariffs in the Rose Garden at the White House in Washington, D.C., U.S., April 2, 2025. Carlos Barria | Reuters The U.S. government could owe more than $175 billion in refunds to importers after the Supreme Court ruled Friday in a 6-3 decision that tariffs unilaterally imposed by […]

Read More
Supreme Court strikes down Trump tariffs, rebuking president’s signature economic policy
Politics

Supreme Court strikes down Trump tariffs, rebuking president’s signature economic policy

The Supreme Court on Friday struck down a huge chunk of President Donald Trump’s far-reaching tariff agenda, in a major rebuke of the president’s key economic policy. The law that undergirds those import duties “does not authorize the President to impose tariffs,” the majority ruled six to three in a decision Trump had been awaiting. […]

Read More
Labor Secretary’s husband barred from HQ after sexual assault claims, NY Times reports
Politics

Labor Secretary’s husband barred from HQ after sexual assault claims, NY Times reports

Shawn DeRemer, husband of Lori Chavez-DeRemer, U.S. President Trump’s nominee to be secretary of labor, sits, on the day Chavez-DeRemer testifies before a Senate Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions (HELP) Committee confirmation hearing on Capitol Hill in Washington, D.C., U.S., Feb. 19, 2025. Kent Nishimura | Reuters At least two female staffers have made allegations […]

Read More