Trump fundraiser Barrack sought UAE investment while lobbying for country, prosecutors say

Trump fundraiser Barrack sought UAE investment while lobbying for country, prosecutors say


Thomas Barrack(C), a close adviser to former President Donald Trump and chair of his inaugural committee, leaves after attending a hearing at the US District Court of Eastern District of New York on July 26, 2021 in New York City.

Kena Betancur | AFP | Getty Images

A billionaire fundraiser for former U.S. President Donald Trump’s campaign sought investment from two United Arab Emirates sovereign wealth funds at the same time he was illegally lobbying for the country, prosecutors said on Tuesday.

In a new indictment filed in federal court in Brooklyn, prosecutors said an investment management firm run by Thomas Barrack received capital commitments from the unnamed UAE funds totaling $374 million in 2017, after receiving no new funds from the country from 2009 to 2016.

That came as Barrack, who chaired Trump’s 2017 inaugural fund and was a frequent guest at the White House, was secretly lobbying the Trump administration for the UAE between 2016 and 2018, prosecutors said.

Barrack last year pleaded not guilty to an earlier indictment on seven criminal counts and is awaiting trial, scheduled for this fall.

The new indictment charges Barrack with nine criminal counts, including acting as an unregistered foreign agent and making false statements to authorities. His lawyers did not immediately respond to requests for comment on Wednesday.

The indictment did not name the company that received the commitments. Barrack is the founder of digital infrastructure-focused private equity firm DigitalBridge Group, formerly known as Colony Capital.

DigitalBridge did not immediately respond to a request for comment. Barrack has stepped down from former roles as the firm’s chairman and chief executive.

In September 2017, Barrack emailed an executive at the UAE sovereign wealth funds and said he was “honored and privileged” to have the fund invest $74 million with his company, according to the indictment. A second fund pledged $300 million the following year, the indictment says.

The indictment did not say whether Barrack’s company ultimately received the funds.



Source

Trump approves disaster assistance to D.C. to help with sewage spill into Potomac River
Politics

Trump approves disaster assistance to D.C. to help with sewage spill into Potomac River

A notice alerting of a sewage overflow area is posted along the Potomac River on Feb. 19, 2026, in Cabin John, Maryland. This week District of Columbia Mayor Muriel Bowser declared a public emergency for the sewage spill in the Potomac River, 30 days after a section of a major pipe collapsed, unleashing millions of […]

Read More
JPMorgan concedes it closed Trump’s accounts after Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol
Politics

JPMorgan concedes it closed Trump’s accounts after Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol

President Donald Trump (L), and JP Morgan CEO, Jamie Dimon. Reuters JPMorgan Chase acknowledged for the first time that it closed the bank accounts of President Donald Trump and several of his businesses in the political and legal aftermath of the Jan. 6, 2021, attacks on the U.S. Capitol, the latest development in a legal […]

Read More
Trump to hike global tariffs to 15% from 10%, ‘effective immediately’
Politics

Trump to hike global tariffs to 15% from 10%, ‘effective immediately’

U.S. President Donald Trump speaks during a press briefing held at the White House February 20, 2026 in Washington, DC. Kevin Dietsch | Getty Images News | Getty Images President Donald Trump on Saturday said he would increase global tariffs to 15% from 10%, one day after the Supreme Court struck down his “reciprocal” tariffs. […]

Read More