Trump CMS nominee Dr. Oz won’t commit to opposing Medicaid cuts

Trump CMS nominee Dr. Oz won’t commit to opposing Medicaid cuts


Sen. Ron Wyden questions CMS director nominee Dr. Mehmet Oz on potential Medicaid cuts

Dr. Mehmet Oz, President Donald Trump’s pick to lead the agency in charge of massive government-run health insurance programs, on Friday declined to commit to opposing future cuts to Medicaid when directly asked if he would do so.

Instead, the nominee for administrator of the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services said that the way to protect Medicaid is “making sure that it’s viable at every level.”

The exchange during Oz’s Senate confirmation hearing raises fresh questions about the fate of Medicaid under a Republican-led Congress and White House, despite Trump’s promises to preserve it and other federal safety-net programs.

The nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office said last week that House Republicans’ current budget cannot meet its spending-cut goals without significantly cutting Medicare or Medicaid coverage.

Sen. Ron Wyden, D-Ore., the ranking member of the Senate Finance Committee, asked Oz on Friday, “Since you cherish Medicaid, will you agree to oppose cuts in the Medicaid program?”

“I cherish Medicaid, and I’ve worked within the Medicaid environment quite extensively, as I highlighted, practicing at Columbia University,” Oz said.

Wyden replied, “That’s not that question, doctor. The question is, will you oppose cuts to this program you say you cherish?”

Oz again declined to say that he would.

“I want to make sure that patients today and in the future have resources to protect them if they get ill,” he said.

“The way you protect Medicaid is by making sure that it’s viable at every level, which includes having enough practitioners to afford the services, paying them enough to do what you request of them, and making sure that patients are able to use Medicaid.”

This is developing news. Please check back for updates.

Read more CNBC politics coverage



Source

White House blasts Boston Globe, CBS News and The Independent for coverage of ‘illegal orders’ video
Politics

White House blasts Boston Globe, CBS News and The Independent for coverage of ‘illegal orders’ video

U.S. President Donald Trump speaks with members of the media following a call with military service members, on Thanksgiving, in Palm Beach, Florida, U.S., Nov. 27, 2025. Anna Rose Layden | Reuters The White House on Friday evening named the Boston Globe, CBS News and The Independent as “media offender of the week,” blasting their […]

Read More
Trump says National Guard member dies after shooting, as ambush becomes political flashpoint
Politics

Trump says National Guard member dies after shooting, as ambush becomes political flashpoint

WASHINGTON, DC – AUGUST 21: U.S. President Donald Trump visits the U.S. Park Police Anacostia Operations Facility on August 21, 2025 in Washington, DC. Anna Moneymaker | Getty Images News | Getty Images President Donald Trump said on Thursday that a National Guard member had died after being shot in an ambush by an Afghan national near the White House, […]

Read More
Two National Guard members in critical condition after shooting near White House: AP source
Politics

Two National Guard members in critical condition after shooting near White House: AP source

An unidentified man in military fatigues lies on a stretcher inside an ambulance November 26, 2025 in downtown Washington, DC. Drew Angerer | AFP | Getty Images Two National Guard members were shot Wednesday near the White House and are in critical condition, according to a law enforcement official not authorized to discuss the matter […]

Read More