TikTok preparing for U.S. Sunday shutdown, sources tell Reuters

TikTok preparing for U.S. Sunday shutdown, sources tell Reuters


Jaap Arriens | Nurphoto | Getty Images

TikTok plans to shut its app for U.S. users on Sunday, when a federal ban on the social media app could come into effect, unless the Supreme Court moves to block it, sources familiar with the matter said.

The outcome of the shutdown would be different from that mandated by the law. The law would mandate a ban only on new TikTok downloads on Apple or Google app stores, while existing users could continue using it for some time.

Under TikTok’s plan, people attempting to open the app will see a pop-up message directing them to a website with information about the ban, the sources said, requesting anonymity as the matter is not public.

The company also plans to give users an option to download all their data so that they can take a record of their personal information, they said.

TikTok and its Chinese parent, ByteDance, did not immediately respond to Reuters’ requests for comment. The Information first reported the news.

Privately held ByteDance is about 60% owned by institutional investors such as Blackrock and General Atlantic, while its founders and employees own 20% each. It has more than 7,000 employees in the United States.

President Joe Biden had in April last year signed a law requiring ByteDance to sell its U.S. assets by Jan. 19, 2025, or face a nationwide ban.

Last week, the U.S. Supreme Court seemed inclined to uphold the law, despite calls from President-elect Donald Trump and lawmakers to extend the deadline.

Trump, whose inauguration takes place the day after the law goes into effect, has said he should have time after taking office to pursue a “political resolution” of the issue.

TikTok and ByteDance have sought, at the very least, a delay in the implementation of the law, which they say violates the U.S. Constitution’s First Amendment protection against government abridgment of free speech.

TikTok said in a court filing last month it estimates one-third of the 170 million Americans using its app would stop accessing the platform if the ban lasts a month.



Source

NASA moon rocket hit by new problem, putting March launch with astronauts in jeopardy
World

NASA moon rocket hit by new problem, putting March launch with astronauts in jeopardy

The Space Launch System, with the Orion crew capsule, stands at launch complex 39B during the Wet Dress Rehearsal, a full-scale countdown and propellant load, for the Artemis II mission to the Moon at Kennedy Space Center in Cape Canaveral, Florida, on Feb. 2, 2026. Steve Nesius | Reuters NASA’s new moon rocket has suffered […]

Read More
Berkshire was a net seller of stocks in Buffett’s final quarter as CEO
World

Berkshire was a net seller of stocks in Buffett’s final quarter as CEO

(This is the Warren Buffett Watch newsletter, news and analysis on all things Warren Buffett and Berkshire Hathaway. You can sign up here to receive it every Friday evening in your inbox.) Berkshire was a net seller of stocks in Buffett’s final quarter as CEO Zoom In IconArrows pointing outwards Berkshire has sold Apple shares […]

Read More
U.S. ambassador Mike Huckabee causes uproar by claiming Israel has a right to much of the Middle East
World

U.S. ambassador Mike Huckabee causes uproar by claiming Israel has a right to much of the Middle East

U.S. Ambassador to Israel Mike Huckabee looks on during an interview with Reuters in Jerusalem on Sept. 10, 2025. Ronen Zvulun | Reuters Arab and Muslim nations on Saturday sharply condemned comments by the U.S. ambassador to Israel, Mike Huckabee, who said Israel has a right to much of the Middle East. Huckabee made the […]

Read More