Starlink in Brazil’s crosshairs as spat over Elon Musk’s X escalates

Starlink in Brazil’s crosshairs as spat over Elon Musk’s X escalates


Jaap Arriens | Nurphoto | Getty Images

Brazil’s telecommunications regulator threatened sanctions against Elon Musk’s satellite internet firm Starlink, as a public confrontation with the billionaire escalates over the country’s decision to block his social media company X.

Last week, Brazil’s supreme court ordered a nationwide suspension of X for not appointing a legal representative by a court-mandated deadline, in line with the country’s laws. That ruling was upheld on Monday by a panel of federal supreme court justices.

Anatel, Brazil’s telecommunications regulator, has instructed internet providers to block access to X following the court order. Artur Coimbra, a commissioner at Anatel, told Reuters that Starlink is the only company that has told the regulator that it would not comply with the court decision.

In a separate interview with CNN Brasil on Monday, Coimbra said Anatel is looking into the potential non-compliance of Starlink and other network operators. The commissioner said there are a number of sanctions that could be imposed on a company if it does not comply with the court order to block X, including fines and the withdrawal of the license to do business in Brazil.

CNBC has reached out to Anatel for comment.

Musk’s fight with Brazil stems back to April, when an X representative said that the company was forced by “court decisions to block certain popular accounts.” Shortly after, Musk said that restrictions were removed and urged users to download a virtual private network (VPN) to access X, in the case that the social network gets banned.

The conflict ramped up just as Brazil prepares for municipal elections in October. Under the country’s laws, social networks have to employ someone who can receive and consider government takedown notices about political misinformation.

X has no such employee in Brazil, after the company said it was removing all its staff from the country last month amid continuing tensions, triggering the latest legal confrontations.

Top judge





Source

AI chatbot firms face stricter regulation in online safety laws protecting children in the UK
Technology

AI chatbot firms face stricter regulation in online safety laws protecting children in the UK

Preteen girl at desk solving homework with AI chatbot. Phynart Studio | E+ | Getty Images The UK government is closing a “loophole” in new online safety legislation that will make AI chatbots subject to its requirement to combat illegal material or face fines or even being blocked. After the country’s government staunchly criticized Elon […]

Read More
ByteDance says it will add safeguards to Seedance 2.0 following Hollywood backlash
Technology

ByteDance says it will add safeguards to Seedance 2.0 following Hollywood backlash

Signage at a ByteDance offices in Beijing, China, on June 30, 2023.  Bloomberg | Bloomberg | Getty Images Chinese tech giant ByteDance has said it will strengthen safeguards on a new artificial intelligence video-making tool, following complaints of copyright theft from entertainment giants.  The tool, Seedance 2.0, enables users to create realistic videos based on […]

Read More
Much ado about nothing? TikTok’s U.S. usership steadies after turbulent start
Technology

Much ado about nothing? TikTok’s U.S. usership steadies after turbulent start

The TikTok Inc. sign in front of the building on Tuesday, Jan. 27, 2026 in Culver City, CA. Kayla Bartkowski | Los Angeles Times | Getty Images TikTok’s U.S. joint venture seems to have survived a turbulent rollout with minimal change in usership, as early narratives of a mass user exodus prompted by service outages […]

Read More