South Korea’s Hybe opens China office amid hopes of a K-pop reversal from Beijing

South Korea’s Hybe opens China office amid hopes of a K-pop reversal from Beijing


The Hybe Building in Seoul, South Korea.

Sopa Images | Lightrocket | Getty Images

South Korea’s largest K-pop agency Hybe has established its first office in China — amid signs that Beijing is lifting its unofficial ban on K-pop shows.

The agency behind global sensation BTS has been preparing to establish itself in China since last year, a Hybe official said recently.

Hybe’s China office — launched on April 2 and announced on Thursday — is its fourth overseas branch. But while the agency has launched local groups such as &Team in Japan and Katseye in the United States, it has no plans to debut rookie teams in China, according to South Korean state media KBS.

There have been indications that Beijing might be softening its stance on K-pop in the face of weak domestic consumption and stalled trade talks with China. And in another sign of thawing relations, China announced its decision to waive visas for South Koreans last November. South Korea followed suit in March 2025 with its plans to offer a visa exemption to Chinese visitors in the third quarter.

Even more recently and on the K-pop front, Hybe announced plans to sell its entire stake in SM Entertainment to China’s Tencent Music. The move is a testament to a strengthening relationship between Tencent and major K-pop companies, Junhyun Kim, a Korea internet gaming and entertainment research analyst at HSBC, said in a recent note.

If K-pop becomes more widely recognized in China, Kim said, he expects there will be increased use of fan platforms like Hybe’s Weverse and Dear U Bubble, which are messaging platforms between fans and artists.

But the path to a K-pop comeback in China won’t necessarily be smooth.

K-pop group Epex canceled a concert in Fuzhou that was scheduled for May 31, citing “issues in the local region.” The performance would have been the first concert by an all-Korean idol group in mainland China since 2016.

Hybe’s shares fell 1.47% in Friday trading hours.

With other industries under pressure from tariffs, a U-turn from China on its unofficial K-pop ban could inject fresh momentum into South Korea’s entertainment industry.

“In contrast with semiconductors or autos, where global trade policy directly impacts supply chains and pricing, K-pop consumption is far less sensitive to protectionist measures,” Shinhan Securities said in a note in April.

“Core revenue drivers—streaming, concerts, and fan content—are digital and intangible, making them immune to cross-border tariffs,” CGS said, adding that even if fans buy albums and merchandise, tariff exposure is “negligible,” given low unit prices and loyal fan demand.

— CNBC’s Lim Hui Jie contributed to this report.



Source

Stock futures are little changed ahead of key economic data, possible tariff court ruling: Live updates
World

Stock futures are little changed ahead of key economic data, possible tariff court ruling: Live updates

Traders work at the New York Stock Exchange on Feb. 18, 2026. NYSE Stock futures were little changed Thursday night ahead of the release of crucial economic data and a potential key ruling from the Supreme Court on President Donald Trump’s tariffs. Futures tied to the Dow Jones Industrial Average shed 6 points, or 0.01%. […]

Read More
Kennedy defends Trump glyphosate order; MAHA erupts as midterms approach
World

Kennedy defends Trump glyphosate order; MAHA erupts as midterms approach

U.S. Health and Human Services (HHS) Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Jr. speaks, announcing new nutrition policies during a press conference at the Department of Health and Human Services in Washington, D.C., U.S., Jan. 8, 2026. Jonathan Ernst | Reuters Secretary of Health and Human Services Robert F. Kennedy Jr. defended President Donald Trump’s executive order […]

Read More
Trump to decide whether to attack Iran in next 10 days — oil prices jump
World

Trump to decide whether to attack Iran in next 10 days — oil prices jump

US President Donald Trump delivers remarks during the inaugural meeting of the “Board of Peace” at the US Institute of Peace in Washington, DC, on February 19, 2026. Saul Loeb | Afp | Getty Images President Donald Trump said Thursday that he will decide whether to launch military strikes against Iran in the next 10 […]

Read More