SNAP benefits: Trump admin seeks emergency block on order to pay food stamps in full

SNAP benefits: Trump admin seeks emergency block on order to pay food stamps in full


An EBT sign is displayed on the window of a grocery store on Oct. 30, 2025 in the Flatbush neighborhood of the Brooklyn borough in New York City.

Michael M. Santiago | Getty Images

The Trump administration asked a federal appeals court to issue an emergency block on a judge’s order that it pay 42 million Americans their full SNAP benefits for November by Friday.

The administration requested that the 1st Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals allow it to pay 65 percent of the food stamp benefits this month from a contingency fund, as the administration had proposed to the judge earlier this week.

The request came a day after Judge Jack McConnell issued an order in U.S. District Court in Rhode Island rejecting the partial payment option.

McConnell ordered the administration to use so-called Section 32 funds to help fully fund the SNAP benefits, along with the $4.65 billion it already planned to use from the contingency fund appropriated by Congress. The administration earlier had rejected the idea of using Section 32 funds for that purpose.

The appeals court on Friday morning told plaintiffs in the case to respond to the administration’s motion for an emergency stay of McConnell’s order by noon, ET.

The administration last week said it planned to completely cease payments to recipients of the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program in November because there was no current funding appropriated by Congress for it.

Read more CNBC government shutdown coverage

The U.S. government has been shut down since Oct. 1 because Congress has been unable to agree on a bill that would temporarily fund federal programs, including SNAP.

Prior administrations have continued paying SNAP benefits during other shutdowns.

A group of cities, charitable and faith-based non-profit groups, unions, and business organizations sued the Trump administration, asking McConnell to order officials to fully SNAP benefits.

On Oct. 31, McConnell ordered the administration to pay at least partial benefits from the contingency fund as soon as possible, and to investigate whether other funds could be used to help pay for the full benefits.

The administration on Monday told McConnell it would pay 50% of SNAP benefits for November by using the contingency money, but said it would not use other funds. On Wednesday, the administration told the judge that a review of the contingency funds available meant that 65% of the benefits could be paid.

Plaintiffs in the case said that was not acceptable and asked McConnell to order that full benefits be paid.

McConnell agreed, telling administration lawyers at a hearing on Thursday, “People have gone without for too long.”

“The evidence shows that people will go hungry, food pantries will be overburdened, and needless suffering will occur” if SNAP is not fully funded, the judge said.

“While the President of the United States professes a commitment to helping those it serves, the government’s actions tell a different story,” McConnell wrote in a subsequent written order.

This is breaking news. Please refresh for updates.



Source

White House blasts Boston Globe, CBS News and The Independent for coverage of ‘illegal orders’ video
Politics

White House blasts Boston Globe, CBS News and The Independent for coverage of ‘illegal orders’ video

U.S. President Donald Trump speaks with members of the media following a call with military service members, on Thanksgiving, in Palm Beach, Florida, U.S., Nov. 27, 2025. Anna Rose Layden | Reuters The White House on Friday evening named the Boston Globe, CBS News and The Independent as “media offender of the week,” blasting their […]

Read More
Trump says National Guard member dies after shooting, as ambush becomes political flashpoint
Politics

Trump says National Guard member dies after shooting, as ambush becomes political flashpoint

WASHINGTON, DC – AUGUST 21: U.S. President Donald Trump visits the U.S. Park Police Anacostia Operations Facility on August 21, 2025 in Washington, DC. Anna Moneymaker | Getty Images News | Getty Images President Donald Trump said on Thursday that a National Guard member had died after being shot in an ambush by an Afghan national near the White House, […]

Read More
Two National Guard members in critical condition after shooting near White House: AP source
Politics

Two National Guard members in critical condition after shooting near White House: AP source

An unidentified man in military fatigues lies on a stretcher inside an ambulance November 26, 2025 in downtown Washington, DC. Drew Angerer | AFP | Getty Images Two National Guard members were shot Wednesday near the White House and are in critical condition, according to a law enforcement official not authorized to discuss the matter […]

Read More