Smartphone shipments fell 9% in Q2, but Apple iPhone remains in high demand despite inflation pressure

Smartphone shipments fell 9% in Q2, but Apple iPhone remains in high demand despite inflation pressure


Customers look at the iPhone13 smartphones at apple’s flagship store in Shanghai, China.

Xing Yun | Future Publishing | Getty Images

Shipments of Apple’s iPhone remain strong despite regional uncertainty and economic headwinds that dragged global phone shipments down 9% year over year in the second quarter, according to new data from research firm Canalys.

Apple had a 17% share of global phone shipments in Q2, up from 14% in the year-earlier quarter, Canalys said, noting that the iPhone 13 remains in high demand. Samsung has the largest share with 21% of the market, according to Canalys, but that was largely on the strength of shipments of its low-end A series phones that cost less than the iPhone 13.

Apple is set to report earnings on July 28.

The company’s chief financial officer, Luca Maestri, warned in April of challenges the company is facing this quarter, including supply constraints that could hit total sales by up to $8 billion. But the steady appetite for the iPhone 13 suggests phone revenues may be strong despite Maestri’s warning.

Canalys analyst Toby Zhu said phone promotions and special offers will help alleviate supply pressure but warned that consumers are being squeezed by inflation and aren’t likely to have the disposable income they had last year to buy new phones. He also warned of persistent kinks in the supply chain.

“While component supplies and cost pressures are easing, a few concerns remain within logistics and production, such as some emerging markets’ tightening import laws and customs procedures delaying shipments,” Zhu said.

Chinese phone makers may be facing the brunt of those problems. Xiaomi, Oppo and Vivo all suffered double-digit declines; they hold 14%, 10% and 9% global market share, respectively.   



Source

ByteDance says it will add safeguards to Seedance 2.0 following Hollywood backlash
Technology

ByteDance says it will add safeguards to Seedance 2.0 following Hollywood backlash

Signage at a ByteDance offices in Beijing, China, on June 30, 2023.  Bloomberg | Bloomberg | Getty Images Chinese tech giant ByteDance has said it will strengthen safeguards on a new artificial intelligence video-making tool, following complaints of copyright theft from entertainment giants.  The tool, Seedance 2.0, enables users to create realistic videos based on […]

Read More
Much ado about nothing? TikTok’s U.S. usership steadies after turbulent start
Technology

Much ado about nothing? TikTok’s U.S. usership steadies after turbulent start

The TikTok Inc. sign in front of the building on Tuesday, Jan. 27, 2026 in Culver City, CA. Kayla Bartkowski | Los Angeles Times | Getty Images TikTok’s U.S. joint venture seems to have survived a turbulent rollout with minimal change in usership, as early narratives of a mass user exodus prompted by service outages […]

Read More
Huang and Pichai among tech CEOs heading to India for major AI summit in a key market
Technology

Huang and Pichai among tech CEOs heading to India for major AI summit in a key market

US President Joe Biden looks on as India’s Prime Minister Narendra Modi speaks during a meeting with senior officials and CEOs of American and Indian companies, in the East Room the White House in Washington, DC, on June 23, 2023.  Brendan Smialowski | AFP | Getty Images Big technology executives descend on India this week […]

Read More