Philippines’ ex-President Duterte arrested at ICC’s request over ‘drugs war,’ government says

Philippines’ ex-President Duterte arrested at ICC’s request over ‘drugs war,’ government says


Former Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte gives a speech during a campaign rally at Southorn Stadium on March 09, 2025 in Hong Kong, China.

Anthony Kwan | Getty Images News | Getty Images

Former Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte was served an Interpol arrest warrant from the International Criminal Court on his arrival at Manila’s main airport on Tuesday, the government said.

The ICC has said it would pursue an investigation of suspected crimes against humanity related to Duterte’s role in overseeing a bloody “war on drugs” that killed thousands of Filipinos.

Duterte had said on Monday in Hong Kong that he was ready to be arrested if the ICC issued a warrant and has repeatedly defended the anti-drugs crackdown. He has denied ordering police to kill drug suspects unless in self-defense.

The office of President Ferdinand Marcos Jr said it received an official copy of the warrant, which was served on Duterte by police. Duterte was now in custody, it said in a statement.

Duterte’s former legal counsel Salvador Panelo said the arrest was unlawful, and said the police did not allow one of his lawyers to meet Duterte at the airport.

The firebrand Duterte unilaterally withdrew the Philippines from the ICC’s founding treaty in 2019 when it started looking into allegations of systematic extrajudicial killings, and the Philippines had until last year refused to cooperate with the ICC investigation.

The “war on drugs” was the signature campaign policy that swept Duterte to power in 2016 as a maverick, crime-busting mayor, who delivered on promises he made during vitriolic speeches to kill thousands of narcotics dealers.

According to police, 6,200 suspects were killed during anti-drug operations that they say ended in shootouts. But activists say the real toll of the crackdown was far greater, with thousands of slumland drug users, many of whom were included on official “watch lists”, killed in mysterious circumstances.

Police deny involvement in those killings and reject allegations from rights groups of systematic executions and cover-ups.



Source

Value investor Seth Klarman added Amazon last quarter. Here’s what else he bought
World

Value investor Seth Klarman added Amazon last quarter. Here’s what else he bought

Baupost Group’s Seth Klarman picked up Amazon in the fourth quarter, a bet that has yet to work out for the value investor this year as tech stocks take a hammering. The Boston-based hedge fund manager took a new position in Amazon amounting to $489.7 million, making the online retailer the firm’s second-largest holding, according […]

Read More
Amazon has lost 0 billion in value during this historic losing streak. Here’s what’s dragging it down
World

Amazon has lost $450 billion in value during this historic losing streak. Here’s what’s dragging it down

Andy Jassy, CEO of Amazon, speaking with CNBC at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland on Jan. 20, 2026. CNBC Amazon shares whipsawed on Tuesday, as the stock attempted to make a comeback from a historic slide. Should the stock close in the red, it would mark a tenth-straight negative session, tying the company’s […]

Read More
Iran partially closes Strait of Hormuz, a vital oil chokepoint, as U.S. talks get underway
World

Iran partially closes Strait of Hormuz, a vital oil chokepoint, as U.S. talks get underway

Iranian Navy soldiers at an armed speed boat in Persian Gulf near the strait of Hormuz about 1320km (820 miles) south of Tehran, April 30, 2019. Morteza Nikoubazl | Nurphoto | Getty Images Iran partially closed the strategically vital Strait of Hormuz on Tuesday, state media reported, citing “security precautions” as Tehran’s Revolutionary Guards conduct […]

Read More