Ontario to remove U.S. alcohol from shelves after Trump’s tariffs announcement

Ontario to remove U.S. alcohol from shelves after Trump’s tariffs announcement


Ontario Premier Doug Ford speaks during a campaign stop at Walker Construction in Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada, January 31, 2025. 

Carlos Osorio | Reuters

Ontario will pull all American alcohol from its government-run liquor shelves beginning Tuesday in response to U.S. President Donald Trump’s 25% tariffs on Canadian imports.

Outlets of the Liquor Control Board of Ontario will also take U.S. products out of its catalog so other retailers can’t order or restock those items, according to a Sunday statement by Premier Doug Ford.

“Every year, LCBO sells nearly $1 billion worth of American wine, beer, spirits and seltzers. Not anymore,” Ford said. “There’s never been a better time to choose an amazing Ontario-made or Canadian-made product.”

Ford’s announcement came just hours after Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau slapped retaliatory tariffs of 25% against $155 billion of U.S. goods.

The LCBO is one of the largest wholesalers of alcohol, selling more than 1.1 billion liters of alcohol products in Ontario in 2023. According to the Observatory of Economic Complexity, Canada primarily imports hard liquor from America with an estimated $320 million in sales. The U.S.’s second main export destination for liquor as of October 2024 is Canada, with a $25.9 million trade value, according to the OEC.

In a statement provided to CNBC, the LCBO said it will be stopping all sales of U.S. alcohol products online and in stores “indefinitely,” adding that it is the “importer of record” for all American alcohol into Ontario. LCBO currently lists more than 3,600 products from 35 U.S. states, the statement added.

The move follows other similar Canadian premiers’ announcements of retaliation to the tariffs, including Nova Scotia Premier Tim Houston directing the Nova Scotia Liquor Corporation to remove all American alcohol from their shelves on Tuesday and British Columbia Premier David Eby directing the BC Liquor Distribution Branch to “immediately stop buying American liquor from “red states” and remove the top-selling “red-state” brands from the shelves.”



Source

Hyatt Chairman Pritzker leaves board over Epstein ties
Politics

Hyatt Chairman Pritzker leaves board over Epstein ties

Thomas Pritzker, executive chairman of Hyatt Hotels Corp., speaks during the Milken Institute Global Conference in Beverly Hills, California, U.S., on Wednesday, May 2, 2018. The conference brings together leaders in business, government, technology, philanthropy, academia, and the media to discuss actionable and collaborative solutions to some of the most important questions of our time. […]

Read More
Cuba suspends annual cigar festival as U.S. oil blockade deepens energy crisis
Politics

Cuba suspends annual cigar festival as U.S. oil blockade deepens energy crisis

A female worker operates a machine during the rolling process at the mechanized cigar factory in Havana on May 8, 2025. Adalberto Roque | Afp | Getty Images An annual cigar festival in Cuba’s capital city of Havana, which had been due to take place over five days in late February, has been suspended until […]

Read More
No clear path to ending the partial government shutdown as lawmakers dig in over DHS oversight
Politics

No clear path to ending the partial government shutdown as lawmakers dig in over DHS oversight

The US Capitol in Washington, DC, US, on Wednesday, Jan. 21, 2026. Graeme Sloane | Bloomberg | Getty Images Lawmakers and the White House offered no signs of compromise Sunday in their battle over oversight of federal immigration officers that has led to a pause in funding for the Department of Homeland Security. A partial […]

Read More