Novartis CEO says pharma giant has the firepower for big M&A deals: ‘Can never be done’

Novartis CEO says pharma giant has the firepower for big M&A deals: ‘Can never be done’


This photograph taken on October 30, 2022, shows the logo of the Swiss pharmaceutical and drug maker Novartis on a building in Basel.

Gabriel Monnet | Afp | Getty Images

Novartis “can never be done” when it comes to major acquisitions in its sector as it always needs to look for the next “great asset,” CEO Vas Narasimhan told CNBC.

In order to offset the hit from generics competition Novartis has been on a buying spree, acquiring more than 35 companies over the last year. The Swiss drugmaker announced its biggest deal in a decade on Sunday, when it announced it has agreed to buy U.S. biotechnology company Avidity Biosciences for about $12 billion. 

The purchase will give the Basel, Switzerland-based pharma giant access to Avidity’s vast pipeline of promising experimental drugs. Novartis said two of Avidity’s three leading drugs that are expected to be launched before 2030 have the potential to generate billions of dollars in sales.

“We are driven by science and the technology, in this case this was a perfect fit for us … If you take a look at our free cash flow it approaching $20 billion a year, so we have adequate firepower to do deals like this and to bolster the growth profile of the company,” Narasimhan told CNBC’s “Europe Early Edition.” 

Novartis CEO: We're never done with M&A

Novartis delivered a 7% increase in third-quarter net sales to $13.9 billion as it continues to grapple with competition for some of its blockbuster drugs. Operating income jumped 27% to $5.46 billion in the period, slightly above analyst expectations.

Novartis shares fell 3.4% at the start of the Tuesday trading session. The stock has risen some 17% since the start of the year, outperforming an 8% rise on the Swiss Market Index.

The company said its performance in the quarter was driven by growth in sales of drugs including cancer treatments Kisqali, Pluvicto and Scemblix, as well as its multiple sclerosis drug Kesimpta, which all saw high double digit revenue growth.

Novartis has raised guidance for the past 10 quarters, including twice this year. Analysts at UBS had expected the drugmaker to up its forecasts again this quarter. However, the drugmaker stuck to its guidance for sales to grow by a “high single digit” percentage and adjusted operating income to grow by a “low teens” percentage.

Its key drugs Entresto, Promacta, and Tasigna are facing loss of exclusivity in the U.S., which resulted in a negative impact of 7 percentage points. Revenue deduction adjustments, mainly in the U.S. led to a negative impact of 2 percentage points due to pricing, the firm said in a Tuesday earnings statement.

Investors are closely watching global updates on tariffs and U.S. President Donald Trump’s efforts to lower drug prices for U.S. consumers.

Pharma giants Pfizer and AstraZeneca have recently struck “most favoured nation” (MFN) agreements with the U.S. administration. The policy aims to slash drug costs by tying the prices of some medicine in the U.S. to the significantly lower ones abroad. For the Pfizer and AstraZeneca deals, it will lower the cost of drugs for U.S. consumers while providing the companies a three-year reprieve from tariffs.

“Following PFE and AZN MFN agreements, we expect more announcements across EU and US pharma in the coming weeks. Broad investor expectation is to see a similar agreement for Novartis. We look to see Novartis’s views on the expected impact of any agreement on 2026+ earnings,” said analysts at UBS.

In September, Novartis pledged it would eliminate the price differential between drugs in the U.S. and other industrialized nations.

In September Novartis also said it would not be impacted by a 100% tariff announced by the White House on branded pharmaceutical products because of its $23 billion investment in U.S. based infrastructure.



Source

Chaos, confusion and 0 billion dreams: What I saw at India’s AI summit
World

Chaos, confusion and $200 billion dreams: What I saw at India’s AI summit

CNBC’s Arjun Kharpal sits down with OpenAI CEO Sam Altman at the AI Impact Summit. Photo: Yolande Chee Yolande Chee India hosted one of the world’s biggest AI events this week, but it was marred by chaos and confusion, apparently not the message it’s trying to send as it strives to become a leading artificial […]

Read More
Tech giants commit billions to Indian AI as New Delhi pushes for superpower status
World

Tech giants commit billions to Indian AI as New Delhi pushes for superpower status

Tech giants have committed to funneling hundreds of billions of dollars into Indian AI efforts, against the backdrop of a major summit in the country that’s brought together world leaders and AI execs. Record sums are being ploughed into AI as governments and companies across the globe race to roll out the technology. Hyperscalers — […]

Read More
OpenAI resets spending expectations, tells investors compute target is around 0 billion by 2030
World

OpenAI resets spending expectations, tells investors compute target is around $600 billion by 2030

Sam Altman, CEO of OpenAI, is pictured on Sept. 25, 2025, in Berlin. Florian Gaertner | Photothek | Getty Images OpenAI is telling investors that it’s now targeting roughly $600 billion in total compute spend by 2030, months after CEO Sam Altman touted $1.4 trillion in infrastructure commitments. The artificial intelligence company is providing a […]

Read More