Just Eat Takeaway is exploring a sale of Grubhub barely a year after buying the company

Just Eat Takeaway is exploring a sale of Grubhub barely a year after buying the company


The Grubhub logo displayed on a smartphone screen.

Rafael Henrique | Sopa Images | Lightrocket | Getty Images

European food delivery giant Just Eat Takeaway.com said it’s considering a sale of Grubhub, its U.S. arm, after facing pressure from investors to explore strategic deals.

Just Eat Takeaway.com’s board “confirms its alignment with shareholders in wanting to both create and realise value from the Company’s highly attractive portfolio of assets,” the company said in a trading update Wednesday.

“As such, management is currently, together with its advisers, actively exploring the introduction of a strategic partner into and/or the partial or full sale of Grubhub.”

Just Eat Takeaway.com said it couldn’t guarantee such a sale will be agreed, or when it might happen. “Further announcements will made as and when appropriate,” it said.

The company has faced growing calls from prominent shareholders to divest its Grubhub division. Just Eat Takeaway.com completed its acquisition of the U.S. food ordering platform barely a year ago, after pipping Uber and Germany’s Delivery Hero to a deal after a heated takeover battle.

In October, activist investor Cat Rock Capital called on Just Eat Takeaway.com to sell Grubhub and “refocus its business on Europe.” Cat Rock owns about 6.5% of the company.

Alex Captain, founder and managing partner of Cat Rock, said Just Eat Takeaway.com’s share price has been “deeply depressed,” leaving the company “vulnerable to takeover bids well below its long-term intrinsic value.”

Just Eat Takeaway.com shares rose about 3% on news of the company’s interest in selling Grubhub. The company has lost more than two thirds of its market value in the past 12 months.

It’s not the only food delivery firm having a hard time on the stock market lately. Delivery Hero is down 73% in the last year, while Britain’s Deliveroo has fallen 56%.

Consumer habits are changing after two years of intermittent pandemic shutdowns, with demand for online food delivery, streaming services and home fitness machines on the wane.

Netflix on Tuesday reported a drop in subscribers in the first quarter, marking the first time it has lost paid users since October 2011.

Just Eat Takeaway.com reported gross transaction value (GTV) of 7.2 billion euros ($7.8 billion) in the first quarter, up 4% from the same period a year ago.

But it also revised down its guidance for 2022, with GTV expected to grow by “mid-single digit year-on-year” — it was previously “mid-teens.” The firm said growth in the second quarter of the year will “remain challenging.”

Jitse Groen, Just Eat Takeaway.com’s CEO, said the company expects profitability to “gradually improve throughout the year,” reaching positive adjusted EBITDA (earnings before interest, tax, depreciation and amortization) in 2023.

“Our priority for 2022 lies in enhancing profitability and strengthening our business,” Groen said in a statement.



Source

U.S. investor Wood lambastes Swatch, proposes overhaul to company’s board, FT reports
World

U.S. investor Wood lambastes Swatch, proposes overhaul to company’s board, FT reports

Swatch external store sign Peter Dazeley | Getty Images News | Getty Images U.S. investor Steven Wood accused Swatch Group of “worst-in-class governance”, proposing changes to the Swiss watchmaker’s board and governance reforms, the Financial Times reported on Saturday. Wood, the founder of GreenWood Investors, which says it holds about 0.5% of Swatch‘s share capital, has […]

Read More
Hong Kong blaze spotlights enduring role of city’s foreign domestic helpers
World

Hong Kong blaze spotlights enduring role of city’s foreign domestic helpers

Firefighters spray water on flames as a major fire burns through several apartment blocks at the Wang Fuk Court residential estate. Sopa Images | Lightrocket | Getty Images Indonesian domestic helper Fita spoke of the confusion inside the Hong Kong high-rise apartment complex as it was engulfed in flames on Wednesday in the city’s deadliest […]

Read More
Hong Kong mourns victims of blaze that killed 128 and counting
World

Hong Kong mourns victims of blaze that killed 128 and counting

Hong Kong’s Chief Executive John Lee (C) and other government officials observe three minutes of silence to mourn victims of the Wang Fuk Court residential estate fire, at the Central government offices in Hong Kong on Nov. 29, 2025. Peter Parks | Afp | Getty Images Hong Kong on Saturday mourned the 128 people known […]

Read More