JPMorgan concedes it closed Trump’s accounts after Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol

JPMorgan concedes it closed Trump’s accounts after Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol


President Donald Trump (L), and JP Morgan CEO, Jamie Dimon.

Reuters

JPMorgan Chase acknowledged for the first time that it closed the bank accounts of President Donald Trump and several of his businesses in the political and legal aftermath of the Jan. 6, 2021, attacks on the U.S. Capitol, the latest development in a legal saga over the controversial practice of “debanking.”

The acknowledgment came in a court filing submitted this week in Trump’s lawsuit against the bank and its leader, Jamie Dimon. The president sued for $5 billion, alleging that his accounts were closed for political reasons, disrupting his business operations.

“In February 2021, JPMorgan informed Plaintiffs that certain accounts maintained with JPMorgan’s CB and PB would be closed,” JPMorgan’s former chief administrative officer Dan Wilkening wrote in the court filing. The “PB” and “CB” stands for JPMorgan’s private bank and commercial bank.

Until now, JPMorgan has never admitted it closed the president’s accounts, and would only speak hypothetically about when the bank closes accounts and its reasons for closing accounts.

Emails and text messages to a spokesman for the bank were not returned.

Trump originally sued JPMorgan in Florida state court, where Trump’s primary residence is now located. JPMorgan Chase is looking to have the case moved to New York, which is where the bank accounts were located and where Trump kept much of his business operations until recently.

Trump accuses the bank of trade libel and accuses Dimon himself of violating Florida’s Unfair and Deceptive Trade Practices Act.

In the original lawsuit, Trump alleges he tried to raise the issue personally with Dimon after the bank started to close his accounts, and that Dimon assured Trump he would figure out what was happening. The lawsuit alleges Dimon failed to follow up with Trump.

Further, Trump’s lawyers allege that JPMorgan placed the president and his companies on a reputational “blacklist” that both JPMorgan and other banks use to keep clients from opening accounts with them in the future.

JPMorgan has previously said it believes the suit has no merit.

Debanking occurs when a bank closes the accounts of a customer or refuses to do business with a customer in the form of loans or other services. Once a relatively obscure issue in finance, debanking has become a politically charged issue in recent years, with conservative politicians arguing that banks have discriminated against them and their affiliated interests.

“In a devastating concession that proves President Trump’s entire claim, JPMorgan Chase admitted to unlawfully and intentionally de-banking President Trump, his family, and his businesses, causing overwhelming financial harm,” the president’s lawyers said in a statement. “President Trump is standing up for all those wrongly debanked by JPMorgan Chase and its cohorts, and will see this case to a just and proper conclusion.”

Debanking first became a national issue when conservatives accused the Obama administration of pressuring banks to stop extending services to gun stores and payday lenders under “Operation Choke Point.”

Trump and other conservative figures have alleged that banks cut them off from their accounts under the umbrella term of “reputational risk” after the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the U.S. Capitol. Since Trump came back into office, the president’s banking regulators have moved to stop any banks from using “reputational risk” as a reason for denying service to customers.

This is not the first lawsuit Trump has filed against a big bank, alleging that he was debanked. The Trump Organization sued credit card giant Capital One in March 2025 for similar reasons and allegations. The case is ongoing.



Source

Trump to hike global tariffs to 15% from 10%, ‘effective immediately’
Politics

Trump to hike global tariffs to 15% from 10%, ‘effective immediately’

U.S. President Donald Trump speaks during a press briefing held at the White House February 20, 2026 in Washington, DC. Kevin Dietsch | Getty Images News | Getty Images President Donald Trump on Saturday said he would increase global tariffs to 15% from 10%, one day after the Supreme Court struck down his “reciprocal” tariffs. […]

Read More
Democrats rejoice in Supreme Court rebuke of Trump tariffs they have called illegal
Politics

Democrats rejoice in Supreme Court rebuke of Trump tariffs they have called illegal

Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-NY) speaks at a press conference with other members of Senate Democratic leadership following a policy luncheon at the U.S. Capitol in Washington, DC on January 28, 2026. Nathan Posner | Anadolu | Getty Images Congressional Democrats rejoiced on Friday and Republicans remained divided in the wake of a momentous […]

Read More
Watch: Trump speaks after Supreme Court strikes down tariffs
Politics

Watch: Trump speaks after Supreme Court strikes down tariffs

[The stream is slated to start at 12:45 p.m. ET. Please refresh the page if you do not see a player above at that time.] President Donald Trump on Friday speaking at the White House after the Supreme Court struck down his signature tariff policy. Trump will lead a press briefing at the White House […]

Read More