Italy says U.S. sharply reduced proposed pasta tariffs after a review

Italy says U.S. sharply reduced proposed pasta tariffs after a review


Packages of pasta imported from Italy are seen in a supermarket in Houston, Texas, on Nov. 12, 2025.

Ronaldo Schemidt | AFP | Getty Images

Italy’s foreign ministry said on Thursday the United States had sharply lowered proposed duties on several Italian pasta makers following a reassessment of their U.S. activities.

In October, the United States said that 13 Italian pasta companies would face an extra 92% duty — on top of the regular 15% rate on most EU imports — from January 2026, accusing two producers in particular, La Molisana and Garofalo, of selling pasta at unfairly low prices.

The United States collected more $200 billion in tariffs in 2025 as a result of new duties, according to Customs and Border Protection.

However, after a review, the U.S. Department of Commerce cut the tariff for La Molisana to 2.26%, while Garofalo’s rate was set at 13.98%, the Italian foreign ministry said in a statement.

The remaining 11 producers, which were not individually examined in the review, face a tariff of 9.09%.

“The recalculation of the duties is a sign that U.S. authorities recognise our companies’ constructive willingness to cooperate,” the foreign ministry said.

It added that the full conclusions of the U.S. review would be released on March 11, adding that the ministry would continue to provide help to the companies affected in the coming weeks.

The threatened pasta tariffs had been an embarrassment to Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni, who had hoped that her close ties with U.S. President Donald Trump would shield Italian companies from any additional tariffs.

Italy’s total pasta exports were worth over 4 billion euros ($4.7 billion) in 2024, according to data from national statistics agency ISTAT. The U.S. market was worth almost $800 million to Italian firms.



Source

U.S. airlines warn over pause in TSA PreCheck and Global Entry programs amid DHS shutdown
Politics

U.S. airlines warn over pause in TSA PreCheck and Global Entry programs amid DHS shutdown

Passengers walk through the entrance of a TSA PreCheck in Terminal One at O’Hare International Airport in Chicago on Feb. 1, 2017. Armando L. Sanchez | Chicago Tribune | Getty Images A grouping of major U.S. airlines said the U.S. Department of Homeland Security gave travelers scant warning ⁠ahead of the temporary suspension of its […]

Read More
Trump approves disaster assistance to D.C. to help with sewage spill into Potomac River
Politics

Trump approves disaster assistance to D.C. to help with sewage spill into Potomac River

A notice alerting of a sewage overflow area is posted along the Potomac River on Feb. 19, 2026, in Cabin John, Maryland. This week District of Columbia Mayor Muriel Bowser declared a public emergency for the sewage spill in the Potomac River, 30 days after a section of a major pipe collapsed, unleashing millions of […]

Read More
JPMorgan concedes it closed Trump’s accounts after Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol
Politics

JPMorgan concedes it closed Trump’s accounts after Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol

President Donald Trump (L), and JP Morgan CEO, Jamie Dimon. Reuters JPMorgan Chase acknowledged for the first time that it closed the bank accounts of President Donald Trump and several of his businesses in the political and legal aftermath of the Jan. 6, 2021, attacks on the U.S. Capitol, the latest development in a legal […]

Read More