Hong Kong’s top court quashes convictions of pro-democracy Tiananmen group

Hong Kong’s top court quashes convictions of pro-democracy Tiananmen group


Campaigners attend a protest and candlelit vigil at Chinese Embassy London on June 4, 2023.

Guy Smallman | Getty Images News | Getty Images

Hong Kong’s top court unanimously overturned on Thursday the convictions of three former members of a pro-democracy group that organized an annual candlelight vigil to mark China’s 1989 Tiananmen Square crackdown, citing a miscarriage of justice.

The ruling is a rare victory for Hong Kong’s pro-democracy movement in which scores of activists have been jailed or forced into exile, with many liberal and popular civil society groups shuttered.

In their judgment, the five judges of the Court of Final Appeal, led by Chief Justice Andrew Cheung, said government prosecutors had redacted key facts.

That had “deprived the appellants of a fair trial, so that their convictions involved a miscarriage of justice,” they added.

The now disbanded Hong Kong Alliance in Support of Patriotic Democratic Movements in China used to organize the annual candlelight vigil to commemorate those who died in the bloody crackdown in and around Beijing’s Tiananmen Square in 1989.

Former vice-chairperson Chow Hang Tung, 40, and two other former executive committee members Tang Ngok-kwan and Tsui Hon-kwong were sentenced to 4-1/2 months in March 2023.

They had been found guilty of not complying with a national security police request for information on the Alliance’s members, donors and finances.

Chow’s mother expressed gratitude for the ruling.

“I hope the world will become better,” Media Chow Lau added. “Everyone should be kind and uphold justice persistently.”

Tang welcomed the ruling, saying, “Today we can prove that the Alliance is not a foreign agent … justice is in the hearts of the people,” in remarks to reporters outside the court.

The group was designated a “foreign agent” for an unidentified organization after being accused of receiving 20,000 Hong Kong dollars from it.

But some key details of the case, such as the identity of overseas organizations and individuals alleged to have ties to the group, were redacted, drawing criticism from the judges.

“By redacting the only potential evidential basis for establishing such facts, the prosecution disabled itself from proving its case,” the judges wrote.

The national security law imposed by Beijing allows the police chief to seek information believed to be necessary for the prevention and investigation of offences.

During the appeal hearing, however, Chow, who represented herself, said the claim that the Alliance was a foreign agent had been difficult to prove because it was untrue.

“A deer cannot become a horse just because someone believes it to be,” she added.

Chow urged the courts to end complicity in police abuse.

“A police state is created by the complicity of the court in endorsing such abuses,” she said. “This kind of complicity must stop now.”

Detained since September 2021, Chow has also been charged with incitement to subversion, along with two former Alliance leaders, Albert Ho and Lee Cheuk-yan.



Source

Top South Korean e-commerce firm Coupang apologises over massive data breach
World

Top South Korean e-commerce firm Coupang apologises over massive data breach

Logos on facade at the shared headquarters of Internet company Coupang and security company SentinelOne in the Silicon Valley town of Mountain View, California, October 28, 2018. Smith Collection | Gado | Archive Photos | Getty Images South Korea’s biggest online retailer, Coupang apologised on Sunday over the breach of personal information from 33.7 million customer […]

Read More
Anger simmers over Hong Kong deadly blaze as Beijing warns against ‘disruption’
World

Anger simmers over Hong Kong deadly blaze as Beijing warns against ‘disruption’

People line up to offer flowers outside the Wang Fuk Court in the aftermath of the deadly fire in Hong Kong’s Tai Po district on Nov. 30, 2025 in Hong Kong, China. Anthony Kwan | Getty Images News | Getty Images Anger over a deadly blaze at a Hong Kong high-rise apartment complex simmered on Sunday as Beijing warned […]

Read More
Pope Leo taking peace message to Lebanon, target of Israeli strikes
World

Pope Leo taking peace message to Lebanon, target of Israeli strikes

Pope Leo XIV arrives to take part in a Divine Liturgy at Patriarchal Church of Saint George, in Istanbul on Nov. 30, 2025. Ozan Kose | Afp | Getty Images Pope Leo travels to Lebanon on Sunday, where he is expected to appeal for peace in a country that is a continued target of Israeli air […]

Read More