Goldman-backed Starling Bank hit with $38.5 million fine for financial crime prevention failures

Goldman-backed Starling Bank hit with .5 million fine for financial crime prevention failures


The Starling Bank banking app on a smartphone.

Adrian Dennis | AFP via Getty Images

U.K. financial regulators hit British digital lender Starling Bank with a £29 million ($38.5 million) fine over failings related to its financial crime prevention systems.

In a statement on Wednesday, London’s Financial Conduct Authority said it had fined Starling “for financial crime failings related to its financial sanctions screening.” Starling also repeatedly breached a requirement not to open accounts for high-risk customers, the FCA said.

Starling was not immediately available for comment when contacted by CNBC.

Starling, one of the U.K.’s most popular online-only challenger banks, has been widely viewed as a potential IPO candidate in the coming year or so. The startup previously signaled plans to go public, but has moved back its expected timing from an earlier targeted an IPO as early as 2023.

The FCA said in a statement that, as Starling expanded from 43,000 customers in 2017 to 3.6 million in 2023, the bank’s measures to tackle financial crimes failed to keep pace with that growth.

The FCA began looking into financial crime controls at digital challenger banks in 2021, concerned that fintech brands’ anti-money laundering and know-your-customer compliance systems weren’t robust enough to prevent fraud, money laundering and sanctions evasion on their platforms.

After this probe was first opened, Starling agreed to stop opening new bank accounts for high-risk customers until it improved its internal controls. However, the FCA says that Starling failed to comply with this provision and opened over 54,000 accounts for 49,000 high-risk customers between September 2021 and November 2023.

In January 2023, Starling became aware that, since 2017, its automated system was only screening clients against a fraction of the full list of individuals and entities subject to financial sanctions, the FCA said, adding that the bank identified systemic issues in its sanctions framework in an internal review.

Since then, Starling has reported multiple potential breaches of financial sanctions to relevant authorities, according to the British regulator.

The FCA said that Starling has already established programs to remediate the breaches it identified and to enhance its wider financial crime control framework.

The British regulator added that its investigation into Starling completed in 14 months from opening, compared to an average of 42 months for cases closed in the calendar year 2023/24.



Source

Iran partially closes Strait of Hormuz, a vital oil chokepoint, as U.S. talks get underway
World

Iran partially closes Strait of Hormuz, a vital oil chokepoint, as U.S. talks get underway

Iranian Navy soldiers at an armed speed boat in Persian Gulf near the strait of Hormuz about 1320km (820 miles) south of Tehran, April 30, 2019. Morteza Nikoubazl | Nurphoto | Getty Images Iran partially closed the strategically vital Strait of Hormuz on Tuesday, state media reported, citing “security precautions” as Tehran’s Revolutionary Guards conduct […]

Read More
Silver miners fall in premarket trading as the metal drops 2%
World

Silver miners fall in premarket trading as the metal drops 2%

Silver bars appear in a photo illustration as silver prices move amid shifting industrial demand and global market volatility in Brussels, Belgium, on December 24, 2025. Jonathan Raa | Nurphoto | Getty Images Silver and gold fell in early premarket trading on Tuesday as investors awaited delayed economic data, with little geopolitical news during the […]

Read More
India discussing age-based restrictions with social media firms, top minister says
World

India discussing age-based restrictions with social media firms, top minister says

Indian IT Minister Ashwini Vaishnaw takes questions from reporters at the AI Impact Summit on Feb. 17, 2026. Arjun Kharpal | CNBC NEW DELHI — India is discussing age-based restrictions with social media companies, Information Technology Minister Ashwini Vaishnaw said on Tuesday. “This is something which has now been accepted by many countries, that age-based […]

Read More