Former Trump official John Bolton pleads not guilty to criminal charges

Former Trump official John Bolton pleads not guilty to criminal charges


Former White House national security adviser John Bolton arrives at U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland, to surrender and face an initial appearance on charges of mishandled classified information, in Greenbelt, Maryland, U.S., October 17, 2025.

Leah Millis | Reuters

John Bolton, President Donald Trump’s former national security advisor, pleaded not guilty Friday to charges of mishandling classified information, multiple news outlets reported.

Bolton, 76, made his initial appearance in federal court in Maryland one day after being indicted by a grand jury, becoming the latest Trump foe to face criminal charges.

Former FBI Director James Comey and New York Attorney General Letitia James have also been indicted on criminal charges within the last month.

Bolton is charged with 18 counts of possession and retention of materials related to national defense.

He faces up to 10 years in prison on each count if convicted, though federal sentencing guidelines would likely recommend a much less severe punishment.

The 26-page indictment alleges Bolton shared classified information with two relatives while he was Trump’s national security advisor from April 2018 through September 2019.

Bolton’s attorney, Abbe Lowell, said that the former national security advisor did not share or store any information unlawfully.

“The underlying facts in this case were investigated and resolved years ago,” Lowell said in a statement Thursday.

Bolton in his own statement said he was being targeted because of his opposition to Trump.

The charges, he said, are about Trump’s “intensive effort to intimidate his opponents, to ensure that he alone determines what is said about his conduct.”



Source

White House blasts Boston Globe, CBS News and The Independent for coverage of ‘illegal orders’ video
Politics

White House blasts Boston Globe, CBS News and The Independent for coverage of ‘illegal orders’ video

U.S. President Donald Trump speaks with members of the media following a call with military service members, on Thanksgiving, in Palm Beach, Florida, U.S., Nov. 27, 2025. Anna Rose Layden | Reuters The White House on Friday evening named the Boston Globe, CBS News and The Independent as “media offender of the week,” blasting their […]

Read More
Trump says National Guard member dies after shooting, as ambush becomes political flashpoint
Politics

Trump says National Guard member dies after shooting, as ambush becomes political flashpoint

WASHINGTON, DC – AUGUST 21: U.S. President Donald Trump visits the U.S. Park Police Anacostia Operations Facility on August 21, 2025 in Washington, DC. Anna Moneymaker | Getty Images News | Getty Images President Donald Trump said on Thursday that a National Guard member had died after being shot in an ambush by an Afghan national near the White House, […]

Read More
Two National Guard members in critical condition after shooting near White House: AP source
Politics

Two National Guard members in critical condition after shooting near White House: AP source

An unidentified man in military fatigues lies on a stretcher inside an ambulance November 26, 2025 in downtown Washington, DC. Drew Angerer | AFP | Getty Images Two National Guard members were shot Wednesday near the White House and are in critical condition, according to a law enforcement official not authorized to discuss the matter […]

Read More