Exxon CEO says dispute with Chevron more than Hess Guyana oil belongings could drag into 2025

Exxon CEO says dispute with Chevron more than Hess Guyana oil belongings could drag into 2025


Darren Woods, chairman and chief govt officer of Exxon Mobil Corp, speaks for the duration of the 2024 CERAWeek by S&P Worldwide conference in Houston, Texas, US, on Monday, March 18, 2024. 

F. Carter Smith | Bloomberg | Getty Pictures

Exxon CEO Darren Woods said Monday that the dispute with Chevron in excess of Hess Corporation‘s oil belongings in Guyana likely will not be solved until 2025.

“My see is it will go into 2025,” Woods instructed CNBC’s David Faber at the Milken Institute’s International Convention in Los Angeles. Hess had earlier indicated that the scenario could drag into upcoming year.

“This is an important arbitration clearly not only for Exxon Mobil but for Chevron and Hess,” Woods mentioned. “What we need to have to do is take our time to do what is actually right to make guaranteed that we do all the owing diligence and we get to the solution — the ideal remedy.”

Exxon is proclaiming a appropriate of first refusal on Hess’ property in Guyana underneath a joint operating agreement that governs a consortium that is acquiring the South American nation’s prolific oil means. The oil main submitted for arbitration in March at the International Chamber of Commerce in Paris.

Woods said the panel of arbitrators is still being selected and then the procedure will go into discovery. The CEO has consistently expressed self-assurance that Exxon will prevail in the dispute, indicating Exxon wrote the settlement that governs the consortium.

Oil Charges, Strength Information and Examination

Chevron has rejected Exxon’s claims that the settlement applies to its pending all-stock deal to get Hess, valued at $53 billion.

The arbitration courtroom will finally determine the timeline of the proceedings, but Hess has questioned the panel to listen to the merits of the scenario in the third quarter with an final result in fourth quarter. Chevron CEO Mike Wirth advised analysts through the company’s first-quarter earnings contact in April that this timeline really should permit the corporations “to near the transaction soon thereafter.”

“We see no reputable reason to hold off that timeline,” Wirth explained.

If Exxon prevails in the circumstance, Chevron’s deal with Hess would crack. Woods has said Exxon is not earning a perform to buy Hess, but would like to protect its ideal in the curiosity of shareholders and discover out what benefit is getting placed on Hess’ Guyana assets.

Hess has a 30% stake in an oil patch identified as the Stabroek block off the coastline of Guyana. Exxon prospects the project with a 45% stake though China National Offshore Oil Company maintains 25% stake.

Don’t overlook these stories from CNBC Professional:



Resource

OpenAI resets spending expectations, tells investors compute target is around 0 billion by 2030
World

OpenAI resets spending expectations, tells investors compute target is around $600 billion by 2030

Sam Altman, CEO of OpenAI, is pictured on Sept. 25, 2025, in Berlin. Florian Gaertner | Photothek | Getty Images OpenAI is telling investors that it’s now targeting roughly $600 billion in total compute spend by 2030, months after CEO Sam Altman touted $1.4 trillion in infrastructure commitments. The artificial intelligence company is providing a […]

Read More
Microsoft gaming chief Phil Spencer retires, replaced by ex-Instacart exec Asha Sharma
World

Microsoft gaming chief Phil Spencer retires, replaced by ex-Instacart exec Asha Sharma

Phil Spencer, CEO of Microsoft Gaming, appears at the Political Opening of the Gamescom conference in Cologne, Germany, on Aug. 23, 2023. Franziska Krug | German Select | Getty Images Microsoft’s head of gaming, Phil Spencer, is leaving the software maker following a 38-year tenure, as the company faces increased challenges in its Xbox business. […]

Read More
Traders brace for Trump’s new tariff plan, possible Iran attack and Nvidia earnings
World

Traders brace for Trump’s new tariff plan, possible Iran attack and Nvidia earnings

Wall Street next week is bracing for President Donald Trump’s new tariff plan following Friday’s Supreme Court ruling, at the same time as traders scan for escalating tensions with Iran and look ahead to Nvidia ‘s latest financial results. Stocks swung between gains and losses on Friday after the high court ruled that Trump wrongfully […]

Read More