EU to set out next countermeasures against U.S. tariffs on Thursday

EU to set out next countermeasures against U.S. tariffs on Thursday


Maros Sefcovic, European Commissioner for Trade and Economic Security; Interinstitutional Relations and Transparency, speaks to reporters in Singapore on May 7, 2025, after signing of the EU-Singapore Digital Trade Agreement (DTA), a landmark initiative enhancing digital economic cooperation between the European Union and Singapore.

Roslan Rahman | Afp | Getty Images

The European Commission will announce on Thursday details of its next countermeasures against U.S. tariffs should negotiations with Washington fail, European Trade Commissioner Maros Sefcovic said on Wednesday.

“Tomorrow we will announce next preparatory steps, both in the area of possible rebalancing measures, and also in the areas important for the further discussions,” Sefcovic told a news conference in Singapore after the signing of a digital trade agreement with the Southeast Asian country.

He added that he will work closely with member states and industries to prepare for every scenario.

“I would like to make it very clear that negotiations clearly come first, but not at any cost,” he said.

The new measures would represent the EU’s response to U.S. import tariffs on cars and so-called reciprocal tariffs on most other goods.

The 27-nation bloc had in April approved duties mostly of 25% on U.S. imports amounting to 21 billion euros ($23 billion), including maize, wheat, motorcycles and clothing. The duties have been paused until July, after U.S. President Donald Trump announced a 90-day suspension of reciprocal tariffs.

The EU faces 25% U.S. import tariffs on its steel, aluminum and cars. It also faces reciprocal tariffs of 10% for almost all other goods, a levy that could rise to 20% after the 90-day pause expires on July 8.

Sefcovic previously said U.S. tariffs now covered 70% of EU goods trade to the United States and could rise to 97% after further U.S. investigations into pharmaceuticals, semiconductors and other products.



Source

Labor Secretary’s husband barred from HQ after sexual assault claims, NY Times reports
Politics

Labor Secretary’s husband barred from HQ after sexual assault claims, NY Times reports

Shawn DeRemer, husband of Lori Chavez-DeRemer, U.S. President Trump’s nominee to be secretary of labor, sits, on the day Chavez-DeRemer testifies before a Senate Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions (HELP) Committee confirmation hearing on Capitol Hill in Washington, D.C., U.S., Feb. 19, 2025. Kent Nishimura | Reuters At least two female staffers have made allegations […]

Read More
Epstein would ‘name drop’ Trump, Les Wexner says in deposition video
Politics

Epstein would ‘name drop’ Trump, Les Wexner says in deposition video

Les Wexner speaks during a deposition about Jeffrey Epstein. Courtesy: GOP Oversight via YouTube Jeffrey Epstein would “name drop” President Donald Trump as one of the many high-profile people he claimed to know, billionaire retail magnate Leslie Wexner said this week in a congressional deposition about the notorious sex offender. The 88-year-old Wexner, who was […]

Read More
Epstein files: Former prince Andrew released by police, Trump calls his arrest ‘a shame’
Politics

Epstein files: Former prince Andrew released by police, Trump calls his arrest ‘a shame’

Andrew Mountbatten Windsor, younger brother of Britain’s King Charles, formerly known as Prince Andrew, leaves Aylsham Police Station on a vehicle, on the day he was arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office, after the U.S. Justice Department released more records tied to the late financier and convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein, in Aylsham, […]

Read More