Disney, Reliance overcome cricket concerns to win approval for $8.5 bln India merger

Disney, Reliance overcome cricket concerns to win approval for .5 bln India merger


Walt Disney Co and Reliance Industries have won approval for an $8.5 billion merger of their Indian media assets subject to some modifications, India’s antitrust watchdog said on Wednesday, after the deal sparked concerns over control of cricket broadcasts.

Reliance-Disney aims to create India’s biggest entertainment player to compete with Sony, Netflix and Amazon with 120 TV channels and two streaming services.

The Competition Commission of India (CCI) sent a warning notice to the companies earlier this month expressing concern that a merged entity would have a tight grip on most cricket rights for TV and streaming in India, and could hurt advertisers.

The two companies have since offered concessions to the CCI, including a commitment to not raise advertising rates unreasonably for streamed cricket matches, according to a source with direct knowledge of the matter.

The CCI said in a statement it “approves the proposed combination”, without giving any more details.

The merged company will be majority owned by Asia’s richest man Mukesh Ambani’s Reliance. The CCI had privately asked Reliance and Disney around 100 questions related to the merger.



Source

U.S. investor Wood lambastes Swatch, proposes overhaul to company’s board, FT reports
World

U.S. investor Wood lambastes Swatch, proposes overhaul to company’s board, FT reports

Swatch external store sign Peter Dazeley | Getty Images News | Getty Images U.S. investor Steven Wood accused Swatch Group of “worst-in-class governance”, proposing changes to the Swiss watchmaker’s board and governance reforms, the Financial Times reported on Saturday. Wood, the founder of GreenWood Investors, which says it holds about 0.5% of Swatch‘s share capital, has […]

Read More
Hong Kong blaze spotlights enduring role of city’s foreign domestic helpers
World

Hong Kong blaze spotlights enduring role of city’s foreign domestic helpers

Firefighters spray water on flames as a major fire burns through several apartment blocks at the Wang Fuk Court residential estate. Sopa Images | Lightrocket | Getty Images Indonesian domestic helper Fita spoke of the confusion inside the Hong Kong high-rise apartment complex as it was engulfed in flames on Wednesday in the city’s deadliest […]

Read More
Hong Kong mourns victims of blaze that killed 128 and counting
World

Hong Kong mourns victims of blaze that killed 128 and counting

Hong Kong’s Chief Executive John Lee (C) and other government officials observe three minutes of silence to mourn victims of the Wang Fuk Court residential estate fire, at the Central government offices in Hong Kong on Nov. 29, 2025. Peter Parks | Afp | Getty Images Hong Kong on Saturday mourned the 128 people known […]

Read More