Chinese battery giant CATL posts annual revenue drop ahead of Hong Kong listing

Chinese battery giant CATL posts annual revenue drop ahead of Hong Kong listing


Chinese battery giant Contemporary Amperex Technology (CATL), pictured here on April 2, 2020, broke ground on its first overseas factory in Germany in late 2019 and plans to add up to 2,000 jobs there by 2025.

Martin Schutt | picture alliance | Getty Images

China’s Contemporary Amperex Technology posted a 9.7% drop in annual revenue, a stock exchange filing showed on Friday, as a price war in the mainland electric vehicle market ensnared the world’s largest battery maker.

Revenue for the 12-month period ending December came in at 362 billion yuan ($50.01 billion), just under a LSEG mean estimate of 368.7 billion yuan. It marked the company’s first drop in yearly revenue since the company started releasing its operating figures in 2015.

Despite the annual drop in revenue, net profit went up by 15% year -over-year to 50.74 billion yuan.

The earnings come as the company is slated for a listing on the Hong Kong’s stock exchange. Reuters reported that the deal is expected to raise at least $5 billion in what would be the city’s largest initial public offering since Chinese TikTok rival Kuaishou’s $5.32 billion public offering in early 2021.

Chinese sales of electric vehicles — a key market for CATL — shifted to a higher gear last year as a mix of subsidies and consumer purchase incentives supported sales. EV sales in China jumped 40% on year to hit 11 million vehicles in 2024, according to data from U.K. research firm Rho Motion.

CATL — the world’s largest electric-vehicle battery maker, known for producing lower-cost but durable cells — counts Tesla, Volkswagen, Li Auto, NIO as key customers and enjoys a dominant 45% market share in China last year in terms of EV battery installations, according to data from China Automotive Battery Innovation Alliance.

Shenzhen-listed CATL has a market cap of 1.12 trillion yuan as of Thursday, according to data from LSEG.

In January, the U.S. Department of Defense put CATL and Chinese internet giant Tencent on its list of “Chinese Military Companies,” which would prohibit the department from procuring goods and services from these companies starting June 2026. The company has denied any engagement in military-related business and said it will work with DoD to address the “false designation.”

The company also sounded caution last month that uncertainties over tariffs were also a risk to the business given its global operation.

The battery maker has pressed ahead with investments overseas, including a battery factory in Hungary to sell to the likes of Mercedes and BMW, as well as a joint venture with automaker Stellantis to build a lithium iron phosphate battery plant in Spain.



Source

Oil jumps more than 2% after Vance says Iran ignored key U.S. demand, military strikes on the table
World

Oil jumps more than 2% after Vance says Iran ignored key U.S. demand, military strikes on the table

Oil prices rose more than 2% on Wednesday, after Vice President JD Vance said Iran did not address U.S. red lines in nuclear talks this week and President Donald Trump reserves the right to use military force. U.S. crude oil rose $1.56, or 2.5%, to $63.89 per barrel. Global benchmark Brent was up $1.61, or […]

Read More
The ‘boomcession’: Why Americans feel left behind by a growing economy
World

The ‘boomcession’: Why Americans feel left behind by a growing economy

Fotostorm | E+ | Getty Images Welcome to the “boomcession.” The term is a portmanteau of the words “boom” and “recession.” It highlights how the average American doesn’t feel like they’re reaping the benefits of an economy that is — on paper — humming along, according to creator Matt Stoller. Economic output and the stock […]

Read More
‘Crap’: Stephen Colbert blasts CBS for denying it blocked James Talarico interview from air
World

‘Crap’: Stephen Colbert blasts CBS for denying it blocked James Talarico interview from air

“Late Show” host Stephen Colbert on Tuesday night called CBS’ denial of his claim that it blocked the broadcast of his interview with Texas state Rep. James Talarico “crap” — and urged the network and its parent, Paramount Skydance, to stand up to the “bullies” in the Trump administration. Colbert’s broadside came hours after CBS […]

Read More