Britain’s P&O Ferries sacks 800 staff and suspends sailing, saying its business is ‘not sustainable’

Britain’s P&O Ferries sacks 800 staff and suspends sailing, saying its business is ‘not sustainable’


Three P&O Ferries, Spirit of Britain, Pride of Canterbury and Pride of Kent moor up in the cruise terminal at the Port of Dover in Kent as the company has suspended sailings ahead of a “major announcement” but insisted it is “not going into liquidation.”

Gareth Fuller | PA Images | Getty Images

LONDON — British ferry operator P&O Ferries on Thursday made 800 staff redundant and suspended sailing with immediate effect, saying the business was “not sustainable” in its current form.

The company told its workers to return to ports ahead of a “major announcement” earlier Thursday, in a move expected to have caused severe disruption to travel for passengers and freight.

Amid rumors that employees are to be replaced with cheaper agency staff, workers’ unions urged staff to remain onboard in what could lead to a potential stand-off. The BBC reported that some crew members were indeed defying orders and refusing to leave their ships in protest.

The matter was discussed in the British House of Commons Thursday afternoon, with Labour’s Shadow Transport Secretary Louise Haigh dubbing the event a “national scandal.”

“They were told this life changing news on a pre-recorded video. There are images circulating of what we are told are handcuffed trained security, some wearing balaclavas, marching British crew off their ships,” said Haigh.

P&O Ferries, which reportedly has almost 4,000 employees and operates over 30,000 sailings annually, has struggled to operate amid ongoing Covid-19 restrictions that have hampered the travel industry over the past two years.

“As part of the process we are starting today, we are providing 800 seafarers with immediate severance notices and will be compensating them for this lack of advance notice with enhanced compensation packages,” a spokesperson for P&O said.

The firm said it had lost £100 million ($131 million) year-on-year, which had been covered by its owner Dubai ports firm DP World.

This is not sustainable. Our survival is dependent on making swift and significant changes now.

“This is not sustainable,” the spokesperson said. “Our survival is dependent on making swift and significant changes now. Without these changes there is no future for P&O Ferries.”

The company added that it was unable to run services for the coming days, advising passengers to continue to travel to ports, where they would be accommodated by other carriers.

Workers’ union ‘deeply disturbed’

British transport union RMT expressed dismay at the sudden announcement, urging the government to step in and protect P&O staff from potential replacement.

“We are deeply disturbed by growing speculation that the company are today planning to sack hundreds of UK seafarers and replace them with foreign labour,” RMT wrote in a press release on its website.

Images on Twitter appear to show coaches of replacement crew and security staff that are already in place at British ports Dover and Hull.

“We have instructed our members to remain onboard and are demanding our members across P&O’s U.K. operations are protected and that the Secretary of State intervenes to save UK seafarers from the dole queue,” it added, referring to the U.K.’s unemployment benefits system.

Unions and the government’s opposition Labour party have accused some companies of attempts to “fire and rehire” staff, a move which effectively sees them being switched from permanent workers to those on weaker contracts with lower pay.

Earlier Thursday, Labour’s Haigh called on the government to act, noting “unscrupulous employers cannot be given free rein to sack their workforce in secure jobs and replace with agency staff.”





Source link

From Hyatt to Holiday Inn, America’s free hotel breakfast is facing a K-shaped economic threat
Travel

From Hyatt to Holiday Inn, America’s free hotel breakfast is facing a K-shaped economic threat

Jeff Greenberg | Universal Images Group | Getty Images At some point in the 1980s and 90s, the free hot breakfast became a staple of the hospitality industry. At many a Holiday Inn or Hampton Inn, the lobby at 8 a.m. is a pinwheel of pajama-clad kids, frazzled parents, and solo business travelers jockeying for […]

Read More
DHS funding lapse to impact TSA: Here’s what to know
Travel

DHS funding lapse to impact TSA: Here’s what to know

CNBC’s Emily Wilkins joins ‘Money Movers’ to discuss the potential DHS shutdown and how it could affect travelers. Source

Read More
Expedia CEO Ariane Gorin: We’re seeing consumers continue to spend on travel
Travel

Expedia CEO Ariane Gorin: We’re seeing consumers continue to spend on travel

ShareShare Article via FacebookShare Article via TwitterShare Article via LinkedInShare Article via Email Expedia CEO Ariane Gorin joins ‘Squawk Box’ to discuss the company’s quarterly earnings results, state of the travel industry, state of the consumer, impact of AI, and more. Source

Read More