Brazil supreme court unfreezes assets of Elon Musk’s Starlink, X after taking fines

Brazil supreme court unfreezes assets of Elon Musk’s Starlink, X after taking fines


Elon Musk, chief executive officer of Tesla Inc., at the US Capitol in Washington, DC, US, on Wednesday, July 24, 2024. 

Samuel Corum | Bloomberg | Getty Images

Brazil’s supreme court announced Friday that it ordered banks to transfer funds from Starlink and X accounts to pay fines the court levied against Elon Musk’s social network.

The court’s top justice, Alexandre de Moraes, and a panel of five other justices, found that X had repeatedly violated Brazilian law when it refused to appoint a legal representative in the country, and when it refused to remove content or profiles from its platform that the court determined to be harmful towards democratic institutions in Brazil.

The court had nearly 18.4 million Brazilian reals, or approximately $3.3 million, transferred out of the accounts. Musk acquired X, then known as Twitter, in 2022. Starlink is the satellite internet service run by SpaceX.

Following the transfers, the court ordered that the frozen bank accounts and assets of X and Starlink be released, saying there was no longer any need to keep them.

The court suspended X at the end of August, and the suspension remains in place. 

Musk and his businesses have said they view the actions of de Moraes as “illegal,” and his court’s orders as having been issued without due process. X and SpaceX did not immediately respond to requests for comment on Friday.

Brazilian news agency UOL reported earlier this month that some of the accounts de Moraes ordered Musk to suspend at X belong to users who allegedly threatened federal police officers involved in a probe of former right-wing Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro.

Bolsonaro has been accused of instigating Brazil’s Jan. 8 riots and of attempting to stage a coup there.

Musk is a proponent of Bolsonaro, in part because the former Brazilian president authorized his business Starlink to operate in the country.

Musk has been ramping up insults and calls to impeach de Moraes since April. On Sept. 5, his long-time collaborator at the helm of SpaceX, COO Gwynne Shotwell, also took shots at the Brazil supreme court online.

She wrote, “@Alexandre, please stop harassing Starlink and let us keep serving the people of Brazil.”

Backers of de Moraes and the STF have seen the orders against X Corp. as an assertion of Brazilian sovereignty.

WATCH: New data shows Musk’s Twitter takeover is worst deal for banks since 2008 financial crisis

New data shows Musk's Twitter takeover is worst deal for banks since 2008 financial crisis



Source

Watch CNBC’s full interview with Microsoft President Brad Smith at the AI Impact Summit in India
World

Watch CNBC’s full interview with Microsoft President Brad Smith at the AI Impact Summit in India

ShareShare Article via FacebookShare Article via TwitterShare Article via LinkedInShare Article via Email Microsoft President Brad Smith told CNBC’s Arjun Kharpal that U.S. tech companies should “worry a little bit” about the subsidies their Chinese competitors receive from their government in the AI race. They were speaking at the sidelines of the AI Impact Summit […]

Read More
Saudi’s Humain invested  billion in xAI’s Series E funding round
World

Saudi’s Humain invested $3 billion in xAI’s Series E funding round

Tareq Amin, chief executive officer of Humain, during the US-Saudi Investment Forum at the Kennedy Center in Washington, DC, US, on Wednesday, Nov. 19, 2025. The US-Saudi Investment Forum 2025 brings together visionaries, leaders, and changemakers shaping the future of global investment. Photographer: Stefani Reynolds/Bloomberg via Getty Images Bloomberg | Bloomberg | Getty Images Saudi […]

Read More
CNBC Daily Open: Traders are betting for a rate cut — but a hike could be on the table
World

CNBC Daily Open: Traders are betting for a rate cut — but a hike could be on the table

A worker steps down from a truck at the construction site of the Federal Reserve headquarters, after U.S. President Donald Trump renewed his threat to bring a lawsuit against Federal Reserve Chair Jerome Powell over Powell’s management of renovations of the building, in Washington, D.C., U.S., January 12, 2026. Kevin Lamarque | Reuters Most U.S. Federal […]

Read More