Australia confirms journalist Cheng Lei will face Chinese court

Australia confirms journalist Cheng Lei will face Chinese court


CGTN anchor Cheng Lei speaking on stage at the Corporate Innovation Summit during day two of Web Summit 2019 at the Altice Arena in Lisbon, Portugal.

Piaras Ó Mídheach | Sportsfile | Getty Images

Australia’s foreign minister on Saturday confirmed that Cheng Lei, an Australian journalist who has been detained in China for 19 months over state secrets accusations, will face court next week.

Cheng, who worked as a television anchor for Chinese state media before being detained in 2020, was formally arrested a year ago on suspicion of illegally supplying state secrets overseas.

Australian Foreign Minister Marise Payne said in a statement on Saturday that Chinese authorities had notified Canberra Cheng would face trial on Thursday. Reuters and other media on Friday reported the scheduled trial, citing sources.

Payne said her ministry had asked that Australian officials be allowed to attend Cheng’s hearing in line with a consular agreement between the two nations.

“We expect basic standards of justice, procedural fairness and humane treatment to be met, in accordance with international norms,” Payne said.

Cheng will be tried in the Beijing No.2 People’s Intermediate Court at 9 a.m. next Thursday, two sources told Reuters earlier this week.

Australia has previously said it was concerned by what it said was a “lack of transparency” over the case, and Cheng’s family have said they are convinced she is innocent.

China’s foreign ministry did not immediately respond to Reuters’ request for comment on Saturday. It has previously said that Cheng’s rights would be fully guaranteed.

Cheng was born in China but moved with her parents to Australia as a child, before building a television career in China first with CNBC and later as a television anchor for China’s English-language channel CGTN.

The trial comes as diplomatic relations between Australia and China remain tense, after Canberra urged an international probe into the source of the Covid-19 pandemic in 2020 and Beijing responded with trade reprisals.



Source

European stocks set to open mixed with earnings due from Nestle, Airbus
World

European stocks set to open mixed with earnings due from Nestle, Airbus

Nestle Coffee-Mate is sold on a store’s shelves on February 18, 2016 in New York City. Andrew Burton | Getty Images News | Getty Images LONDON — European stocks are expected to open in mixed territory on Thursday as investors await further earnings reports. The U.K.’s FTSE index is seen opening 0.15% higher, Germany’s DAX […]

Read More
Watch CNBC’s full interview with Microsoft President Brad Smith at the AI Impact Summit in India
World

Watch CNBC’s full interview with Microsoft President Brad Smith at the AI Impact Summit in India

ShareShare Article via FacebookShare Article via TwitterShare Article via LinkedInShare Article via Email Microsoft President Brad Smith told CNBC’s Arjun Kharpal that U.S. tech companies should “worry a little bit” about the subsidies their Chinese competitors receive from their government in the AI race. They were speaking at the sidelines of the AI Impact Summit […]

Read More
Saudi’s Humain invested  billion in xAI’s Series E funding round
World

Saudi’s Humain invested $3 billion in xAI’s Series E funding round

Tareq Amin, chief executive officer of Humain, during the US-Saudi Investment Forum at the Kennedy Center in Washington, DC, US, on Wednesday, Nov. 19, 2025. The US-Saudi Investment Forum 2025 brings together visionaries, leaders, and changemakers shaping the future of global investment. Photographer: Stefani Reynolds/Bloomberg via Getty Images Bloomberg | Bloomberg | Getty Images Saudi […]

Read More