Alec Baldwin to be charged with involuntary manslaughter in ‘Rust’ movie set shooting

Alec Baldwin to be charged with involuntary manslaughter in ‘Rust’ movie set shooting


Hilaria Baldwin and Alec Baldwin speak for the first time regarding the accidental shooting that killed cinematographer Halyna Hutchins, and wounded director Joel Souza on the set of the film “Rust”, on October 30, 2021 in Manchester, Vermont.

MEGA | GC Images | Getty Images

Alec Baldwin will be criminally charged by New Mexico prosecutors for the 2021 fatal shooting of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins on the set of the film “Rust,” authorities said Thursday.

Baldwin, the Emmy-winning star of “30 Rock” and dozens of films including “The Hunt for Red October,” shot the bullet that killed Hutchins. He and the movie’s armorer, Hannah Gutierrez-Reed, each will be charged with two counts of involuntary manslaughter.

“Rust” assistant director David Halls signed a plea deal for the charge of negligent use of a deadly weapon, resulting in a suspended sentence and six months of probation, according to New Mexico First Judicial District Attorney Mary Carmack-Altwies.

Baldwin’s attorney didn’t immediately comment.

According to documents obtained by the New York Post in September, the DA’s office had been waiting to review evidence from an FBI investigation since October 2021 after the accidental shooting took place. Once the office received the evidence, the DA announced that she intended to pursue charges and filed for $635,500 in emergency funding to hire a specialized team, including a new prosecutor, investigator, and spokesperson, to handle the case. The DA received about half of the requested funds.

Hutchins was shot and killed on Oct. 21, 2021 during a scene where Baldwin uses a gun that was filled with live bullet rounds instead of dummies, which is against Hollywood film standards. Joel Souza, the movie’s director who was 48 at the time, was injured by the bullet but later recovered.

David Hall, the movie’s assistant director, admitted less than a week after the shooting that he had not properly checked the gun for safety before handing it to the film’s armorer Hannah Gutierrez Reed who would pass it along to Baldwin for the scene.

Months later in Dec. 2021, Baldwin said he “didn’t pull the trigger” in an ABC interview. An FBI forensic report obtained by ABC News uncovered that despite Baldwin’s denial, the gun could not have gone off without the pull of a trigger.

Hutchins’ death amplified a wave of rallying cries for safer filming protocols on movie sets. Her family ultimately sued Baldwin and the film producers in Feb. 2022 for wrongful death. The lawsuit was settled in October and the movie resumed filming with Matt Hutchins, the widower of Halyna, serving as an executive producer.

This is breaking news. Check back for updates.



Source

Ford to follow Tesla Cybertruck with electrical tech in new EV pickup
Business

Ford to follow Tesla Cybertruck with electrical tech in new EV pickup

A Ford F-150 Lightning next to a Tesla Cybertruck. Michael Wayland / CNBC DETROIT — Ford Motor‘s $5 billion “bet” on its next generation of all-electric vehicles will feature a budding technology that Tesla commercialized in the U.S. on its Cybertruck, the Detroit automaker said Tuesday. The system, known as a 48-volt electrical architecture, had […]

Read More
CFTC defends its right to prediction market enforcement as states challenge platforms
Business

CFTC defends its right to prediction market enforcement as states challenge platforms

Michael Selig, U.S. President Trump’s nominee to serve as Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC) chairman, testifies in a Senate Agriculture Committee hearing on his nomination on Capitol Hill in Washington, D.C., U.S., Nov. 19, 2025. Jonathan Ernst | Reuters The Commodity Futures Trading Commission filed an amicus brief in federal court on Tuesday to assert […]

Read More
Lakers governor Jeanie Buss talks year of transition, says father would have supported sale to Mark Walter
Business

Lakers governor Jeanie Buss talks year of transition, says father would have supported sale to Mark Walter

Six-time NBA Champion Los Angeles Lakers owner Jeanie Buss said new majority owner Mark Walter’s access to capital will help the team best compete with the NBA’s top franchises — and that her late father, Jerry Buss, would have supported the sale. “What was important to him was that the Lakers stay at the top […]

Read More