Musk’s X refuses to hand over data in ‘politically-motivated’ French investigation

Musk’s X refuses to hand over data in ‘politically-motivated’ French investigation


Elon Musk’s X on Monday denied allegations made by French authorities as part of a criminal investigation into alleged data tampering, adding that it would not submit to the prosecutor’s demand to hand over data.

X’s global government affairs account said the French investigation, which ramped up this month, is “politically-motivated” and designed to “restrict free speech.”

“French authorities have launched a politically-motivated criminal investigation into X over the alleged manipulation of its algorithm and alleged “fraudulent data extraction,” X said in a post on the social media platform. “X categorically denies these allegations.”

French prosecutors started an investigation in January over allegations that the company’s algorithm was being used for the purposes of foreign interference. The probe began after two complaints — one from a French member of parliament and another from a senior official at a public institution.

This month, the investigation was handed over to a key unit of France’s national police. Prosecutors said the investigation would focus on investigating offences of tampering with automated data systems as well as the fraudulent extraction of data from these systems.

“French authorities have requested access to X’s recommendation algorithm and real-time data about all user posts on the platform in order for several ‘experts’ to analyze the data and purportedly ‘uncover the truth’ about the operation of the X platform,” X said.

Musk’s social media platform also said it, “remains in the dark as to the specific allegations made” against it.

“However, based on what we know so far, X believes that this investigation is distorting French law in order to serve a political agenda and, ultimately, restrict free speech,” X said.

“For these reasons, X has not acceded to the French authorities’ demands, as we have a legal right to do. This is not a decision that X takes lightly. However, in this case, the facts speak for themselves.”

CNBC has reached out to the Paris prosecutor’s office for comment.

X took fire at two specific individuals. The company claimed the two “experts” who will review X’s algorithm are David Chavalarias, director of the Paris Complex Systems Institute (ISC-PIF) and Maziyar Panahi, an AI platform leader at ISC-PIF.

X noted Chavalarias runs a campaign called “Escape X” which encourages users to leave the social media platform, and said Panahi “has previously participated in research projects with David Chavalarias that demonstrate open hostility towards X.” Both researchers have indeed been named on a research paper related to X.

“The involvement of these individuals raises serious concerns about the impartiality, fairness, and political motivations of the investigation, to put it charitably. A predetermined outcome is not a fair one,” X said.

CNBC has reached out to both Chavalarias and Panahi, and has yet to receive a comment on X’s statement.



Source

Global week ahead: The start of a Santa Rally or more ‘bah humbug’?
World

Global week ahead: The start of a Santa Rally or more ‘bah humbug’?

And just like that… December is upon us. It’s been a volatile handover from November with U.S. major indices underperforming, dragged down by steep declines for the Nasdaq. Europe’s Stoxx 600 managed to hold onto gains, making November the fifth positive month in a row. But tech stocks also suffered, as concerns over AI valuations […]

Read More
Trump says airspace above and surrounding Venezuela to be closed in its entirety
World

Trump says airspace above and surrounding Venezuela to be closed in its entirety

U.S. President Donald Trump looks on aboard Air Force One during travel to Palm Beach, Florida, from Joint Base Andrews, Maryland, U.S., November 25, 2025. Anna Rose Layden | Reuters U.S. President Donald Trump said on Saturday that the airspace above and surrounding Venezuela is to be closed in its entirety. Trump, in a Truth […]

Read More
U.S. investor Wood lambastes Swatch, proposes overhaul to company’s board, FT reports
World

U.S. investor Wood lambastes Swatch, proposes overhaul to company’s board, FT reports

Swatch external store sign Peter Dazeley | Getty Images News | Getty Images U.S. investor Steven Wood accused Swatch Group of “worst-in-class governance”, proposing changes to the Swiss watchmaker’s board and governance reforms, the Financial Times reported on Saturday. Wood, the founder of GreenWood Investors, which says it holds about 0.5% of Swatch‘s share capital, has […]

Read More