Trump tariffs reinstated by appeals court for now

Trump tariffs reinstated by appeals court for now


Trump tariffs reinstated by appeals court for now

A federal appeals court on Thursday granted the Trump administration’s request to temporarily pause a lower-court ruling that struck down most of President Donald Trump’s tariffs.

The Trump administration had earlier told the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit that it would seek “emergency relief” from the Supreme Court as soon as Friday if the tariff ruling was not quickly put on pause.

The judgment issued Wednesday night by the U.S. Court of International Trade is “temporarily stayed until further notice while this court considers the motions papers,” the appeals court said in its order.

The pause gives the Trump administration some breathing room as it prepares to argue that the law empowers the president to unilaterally launch a global tariff regime.

A three-judge panel on the trade court — including a Trump appointee — had rejected that view in its ruling, which invalidated all of Trump’s “reciprocal” tariffs and other duties.

The judges found that the 1970s-era law Trump had invoked to enact those tariffs, the International Emergency Economic Powers Act, does not “confer such unbounded authority” to presidents.

The nationwide, permanent block they imposed covered all of the retaliatory tariffs that Trump issued in early April as part of his sweeping “liberation day” plan to reshape international trade with the rest of the world.

The ruling also barred the administration from making any future modifications to the tariffs in question. The court gave the administration 10 days to make the necessary changes to carry out the orders.

The government filed a notice of appeal shortly after the judgment came down. It asked the trade court to pause any enforcement of their ruling while the appeal process played out, while also seeking “at least interim relief” from the federal appellate court.

At the same time, the Trump administration aimed a barrage of criticism at the trade-court judges, accusing them of bias and abusing their power.

“The Supreme Court must put an end to this,” White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt said Thursday afternoon. “These judges are threatening to undermine the credibility of the United States on the world stage.”

“We are living under a judicial tyranny,” White House deputy chief of staff Stephen Miller wrote Thursday morning in response to the ruling, escalating his initial claim that “the judicial coup is out of control.”

This is breaking news. Please refresh for updates.



Source

Labor Secretary’s husband barred from HQ after sexual assault claims, NY Times reports
Politics

Labor Secretary’s husband barred from HQ after sexual assault claims, NY Times reports

Shawn DeRemer, husband of Lori Chavez-DeRemer, U.S. President Trump’s nominee to be secretary of labor, sits, on the day Chavez-DeRemer testifies before a Senate Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions (HELP) Committee confirmation hearing on Capitol Hill in Washington, D.C., U.S., Feb. 19, 2025. Kent Nishimura | Reuters At least two female staffers have made allegations […]

Read More
Epstein would ‘name drop’ Trump, Les Wexner says in deposition video
Politics

Epstein would ‘name drop’ Trump, Les Wexner says in deposition video

Les Wexner speaks during a deposition about Jeffrey Epstein. Courtesy: GOP Oversight via YouTube Jeffrey Epstein would “name drop” President Donald Trump as one of the many high-profile people he claimed to know, billionaire retail magnate Leslie Wexner said this week in a congressional deposition about the notorious sex offender. The 88-year-old Wexner, who was […]

Read More
Epstein files: Former prince Andrew released by police, Trump calls his arrest ‘a shame’
Politics

Epstein files: Former prince Andrew released by police, Trump calls his arrest ‘a shame’

Andrew Mountbatten Windsor, younger brother of Britain’s King Charles, formerly known as Prince Andrew, leaves Aylsham Police Station on a vehicle, on the day he was arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office, after the U.S. Justice Department released more records tied to the late financier and convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein, in Aylsham, […]

Read More