Pentagon watchdog launches probe of Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth over use of Signal app

Pentagon watchdog launches probe of Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth over use of Signal app


U.S. Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth looks on, as President Donald Trump (not pictured) delivers remarks, in the Oval Office at the White House, in Washington, D.C., U.S., March 21, 2025. 

Carlos Barria | Reuters

The Pentagon’s internal watchdog opened an investigation of Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth for using the Signal messaging app to discuss pending military strikes in Yemen in March with other senior Trump administration officials.

The probe will determine to what extent Hegseth and other Defense Department staff complied with existing rules over the “use of a commercial messaging application for official business,” the department’s Office of Inspector General said in a memo Thursday.

“Additionally, we will review compliance with classification and records retention requirements,” acting Inspector General Steven Stebbins told Hegseth in the memo.

The probe was launched at the request of Senate Armed Services Committee Chairman Roger Wicker, R-Miss., and Sen. Jack Reed of Rhode Island, the committee’s ranking Democrat, according to the memo.

Experts have raised concerns about whether the Signal chats violated the law.

The Signal group chat where Hegseth discussed strikes on Houthi targets included Vice President JD Vance, Hegseth, national security advisor Michael Waltz, as well as Secretary of State Marco Rubio, Director of National Intelligence Tulsi Gabbard, CIA Director John Ratcliffe, and Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent.

Hegseth gave the chat participants sensitive operational details, including the timing of the attacks and the weapons to be used.

Read more CNBC politics coverage

Hegseth’s texts were revealed in a bombshell report last week by The Atlantic’s editor-in-chief Jeffrey Goldberg, who Waltz inadvertently added to the group chat.

The Trump administration has said that no classified information was discussed in the thread.

The Defense Department declined to comment on Stebbins’ investigation, citing longstanding policy. The White House did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Waltz was at an Oval Office meeting with President Donald Trump on Wednesday, where the far-right activist Laura Loomer pressed the president to fire some of his national security aides, NBC News reported.

Trump fired six members of his National Security Council after that meeting, The New York Times reported Thursday.

Stebbins became the Pentagon’s acting watchdog after Trump fired Inspector General Robert Storch in January.

Stebbins was previously appointed principal deputy inspector general in April 2023, under President Joe Biden.



Source

White House blasts Boston Globe, CBS News and The Independent for coverage of ‘illegal orders’ video
Politics

White House blasts Boston Globe, CBS News and The Independent for coverage of ‘illegal orders’ video

U.S. President Donald Trump speaks with members of the media following a call with military service members, on Thanksgiving, in Palm Beach, Florida, U.S., Nov. 27, 2025. Anna Rose Layden | Reuters The White House on Friday evening named the Boston Globe, CBS News and The Independent as “media offender of the week,” blasting their […]

Read More
Trump says National Guard member dies after shooting, as ambush becomes political flashpoint
Politics

Trump says National Guard member dies after shooting, as ambush becomes political flashpoint

WASHINGTON, DC – AUGUST 21: U.S. President Donald Trump visits the U.S. Park Police Anacostia Operations Facility on August 21, 2025 in Washington, DC. Anna Moneymaker | Getty Images News | Getty Images President Donald Trump said on Thursday that a National Guard member had died after being shot in an ambush by an Afghan national near the White House, […]

Read More
Two National Guard members in critical condition after shooting near White House: AP source
Politics

Two National Guard members in critical condition after shooting near White House: AP source

An unidentified man in military fatigues lies on a stretcher inside an ambulance November 26, 2025 in downtown Washington, DC. Drew Angerer | AFP | Getty Images Two National Guard members were shot Wednesday near the White House and are in critical condition, according to a law enforcement official not authorized to discuss the matter […]

Read More