Fighting rages in critical Ukrainian city as Kyiv pleads for more weapons from West

Fighting rages in critical Ukrainian city as Kyiv pleads for more weapons from West


Heavy fighting between Ukrainian and Russian troops is taking place in the strategically important Donbas city of Severodonetsk.

Aris Messinis | Afp | Getty Images

Intense fighting is ongoing in the streets of a critical eastern Ukrainian city now at the heart of Moscow’s invasion, as Kyiv implored the West to deliver more weapons to hold off Russian forces.

In Severodonetsk, an eastern Ukrainian city that has become the focus of Russia’s advance in eastern Ukraine, there are likely many casualties on both sides, according to an update from the U.K. Ministry of Defence on June 11.

“Intense street to street fighting is ongoing and both sides are likely suffering high numbers of casualties,” the ministry said on Twitter. “Russia is massing fires with its artillery and air capabilities, in an attempt to overwhelm Ukrainian defences.”

However, the ministry said Russian forces have not managed to seize control of the south of the city.

Ukraine’s President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has said the battle for Severodonetsk may decide the outcome for the east of Ukraine. He described the fighting in the city in Ukraine’s Donbas region as “probably one of the most difficult throughout this war.”

The Donbas refers to two provinces, Donetsk and Luhansk, in the easternmost part of Ukraine. It’s a major strategic, political and economic target for the Kremlin.

“Very fierce fighting continues in Donbas,” Zelenskyy said in his nightly address on June 11. “Russia wants to destroy every city in Donbas.”

“The Ukrainian troops are doing everything to stop the offensive of the occupiers. As much as possible. As much as the heavy weapons, modern artillery — all that we have asked and continue to ask our partners for — allow them to,” he said.

Ukraine is pleading for faster and more deliveries of weapons from the West as the war in the east is primarily an artillery battle where the Ukrainians are badly outgunned, according to Reuters, citing the country’s officials.

“Everything now depends on what (the West) gives us. Ukraine has one artillery piece to 10 to 15 Russian artillery pieces,” Vadym Skibitsky, Ukraine’s deputy head of military intelligence, told Britain’s Guardian newspaper.

The country is now banking its hopes on rocket systems the U.S. and U.K. have promised to send.

The U.K. said earlier this week that it will send Ukraine multiple-launch rocket systems that can strike targets up to 50 miles away, in a coordinated move with the United States. Washington said it would supply Ukraine with High Mobility Artillery Rocket Systems, which can travel more than 43 miles.

Russia has attacked Ukrainian defenders with many such rocket systems, which have a longer range than artillery guns.



Source

U.S. trade deficit totaled 1 billion in 2025, barely budging despite Trump’s tariffs
World

U.S. trade deficit totaled $901 billion in 2025, barely budging despite Trump’s tariffs

A Chinese flag flutters atop a China customs building, at a terminal of the Yantian port in Shenzhen, Guangdong province, China, Oct. 30, 2025. Tingshu Wang | Reuters The U.S. trade deficit swelled in December, closing out a year in which the imbalance was essentially unchanged despite efforts by the Trump administration to close the […]

Read More
Accenture tells senior staff to use AI tools or risk losing out on leadership promotions
World

Accenture tells senior staff to use AI tools or risk losing out on leadership promotions

Accenture signage during the 2026 CES event in Las Vegas, Nevada, US, on Wednesday, Jan. 7, 2026. Bridget Bennett | Bloomberg | Getty Images Accenture has told senior staff they must regularly use its AI tools to be considered for promotions for leadership roles. Associate directors and senior managers at the consultancy giant were informed […]

Read More
U.S. renews threat to quit the International Energy Agency over net zero agenda
World

U.S. renews threat to quit the International Energy Agency over net zero agenda

The International Energy Agency (IEA) 2026 Ministerial Meeting and Energy Innovation Forum in the OCDE in Paris, France, on February 18 and 19, 2026. Nurphoto | Nurphoto | Getty Images U.S. Energy Secretary Chris Wright said on Thursday that the U.S. would “pressure” the International Energy Agency to move away from net zero — and […]

Read More