Ontario’s Ford suspends U.S. electric surcharge, says Lutnick agrees to trade talks

Ontario’s Ford suspends U.S. electric surcharge, says Lutnick agrees to trade talks


Ontario Premier Doug Ford gives remarks at a press conference in Queen’s Park on March 10, 2025 in Toronto, Canada. 

Katherine Ky Cheng | Getty Images

Ontario Premier Doug Ford on Tuesday said he was temporarily suspending his province’s planned 25% surcharge on electricity exported to the United States after U.S. Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick agreed to renewed trade talks.

Ford said that he and Lutnick “had a productive conversation about the economic relationship between the United States and Canada” earlier Tuesday.

“We have both agreed, let cooler heads prevail,” Ford told reporters.

This is breaking news. Please refresh for updates.



Source

Democrats send Trump DHS funding counteroffer as agency shutdown grinds on
Politics

Democrats send Trump DHS funding counteroffer as agency shutdown grinds on

U.S. Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) (C), joined by House Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries (D-N.Y.) (L) and House Homeland Security Chairman Bennie Thompson (D-Miss.) hold a press conference on Department of Homeland Security (DHS) funding at the U.S. Capitol on Feb. 04, 2026 in Washington, DC. Kevin Dietsch | Getty Images Congressional Democrats sent […]

Read More
Hyatt Chairman Pritzker leaves board over Epstein ties
Politics

Hyatt Chairman Pritzker leaves board over Epstein ties

Thomas Pritzker, executive chairman of Hyatt Hotels Corp., speaks during the Milken Institute Global Conference in Beverly Hills, California, U.S., on Wednesday, May 2, 2018. The conference brings together leaders in business, government, technology, philanthropy, academia, and the media to discuss actionable and collaborative solutions to some of the most important questions of our time. […]

Read More
Cuba suspends annual cigar festival as U.S. oil blockade deepens energy crisis
Politics

Cuba suspends annual cigar festival as U.S. oil blockade deepens energy crisis

A female worker operates a machine during the rolling process at the mechanized cigar factory in Havana on May 8, 2025. Adalberto Roque | Afp | Getty Images An annual cigar festival in Cuba’s capital city of Havana, which had been due to take place over five days in late February, has been suspended until […]

Read More