Gautam Adani breaks his silence on U.S bribery indictment

Gautam Adani breaks his silence on U.S bribery indictment


Indian billionaire Gautam Adani speaks during an inauguration ceremony after the Adani Group completed the purchase of Haifa Port earlier in January 2023, in Haifa port, Israel January 31, 2023. 

Amir Cohen | Reuters

Adani Group founder Gautam Adani responded for the first time on Saturday to allegations by U.S. authorities that he was part of a $265 million bribery scheme, saying that his ports-to-power conglomerate was committed to world class regulatory compliance.

The indictment is the second major crisis to hit Adani in just two years, sending shockwaves across India and beyond. One Indian state is reviewing a power deal with the group, France’s TotalEnergies decided to pause its investments and political rows over Adani have disrupted India’s parliament.

“Less than two weeks back, we faced a set of allegations from the U.S. about compliance practices at Adani Green Energy. This is not the first time we have faced such challenges,” Adani said in a speech at an awards ceremony.

U.S. authorities have accused Gautam Adani, his nephew and executive director Sagar Adani and managing director of Adani Green, Vneet S. Jaain, of being part of a scheme to pay bribes to secure Indian power supply contracts, and misleading U.S. investors during fundraisings in the country.

Adani Group has denied the allegations, describing them as “baseless” and vowing to seek “all possible legal recourse.”

“What I can tell you is that every attack makes us stronger and every obstacle becomes a stepping stone for a more resilient Adani Group,” Adani said in the northern Indian city of Jaipur.

“In today’s world, negativity spreads faster than facts, and as we work through the legal process, I want to re-confirm our absolute commitment to world class regulatory compliance,” he added, without giving further details.

Adani Group’s finance chief on Friday rejected the allegations, while the Indian government said it had not received any U.S. request regarding the case.

At one point, Adani Group’s listed companies saw as much as $34 billion wiped off their combined market value, but the stocks have recovered ground as some partners and investors have rallied behind the conglomerate.



Source

Traders brace for Trump’s new tariff plan, possible Iran attack and Nvidia earnings
World

Traders brace for Trump’s new tariff plan, possible Iran attack and Nvidia earnings

Wall Street next week is bracing for President Donald Trump’s new tariff plan following Friday’s Supreme Court ruling, at the same time as traders scan for escalating tensions with Iran and look ahead to Nvidia ‘s latest financial results. Stocks swung between gains and losses on Friday after the high court ruled that Trump wrongfully […]

Read More
Trump announces new 10% global tariff after raging over Supreme Court loss
World

Trump announces new 10% global tariff after raging over Supreme Court loss

President Donald Trump said Friday he will sign an executive order imposing a new 10% “global tariff,” hours after the Supreme Court struck down his sweeping “reciprocal” import duties in a major rebuke of his trade agenda. The new tariffs will come on top of the existing levies that remain intact following the high court’s […]

Read More
Trump says he’s considering limited military strike against Iran
World

Trump says he’s considering limited military strike against Iran

President Donald Trump prepares to board Air Force One en route to Florida, at Pope Army Airfield at Fort Bragg, North Carolina, Feb. 13, 2026. Elizabeth Frantz | Reuters President Donald Trump said Friday that he is considering limited military strikes to pressure Iran over its nuclear program. “I guess I can say I am […]

Read More