Catalan separatist Carles Puigdemont returns to Spain after seven years, defying risk of arrest

Catalan separatist Carles Puigdemont returns to Spain after seven years, defying risk of arrest


BARCELONA, SPAIN – AUGUST 08: Former Catalan President Carles Puigdemont makes his first public appearance since he fled Spain in 2017, speaking at a public rally in Barcelona, Spain on August 08, 2024. Since leading the failed 2017 independence push for Catalonia to break away from Spain, he has been wanted by the Spanish justice system. Catalan police had the order to arrest him immediately, but Puigdemont managed to speak for several minutes outside of the Catalan parliament. After the rally, he disappeared. (Photo by Adria Puig/Anadolu via Getty Images)

Anadolu | Anadolu | Getty Images

Former Catalan separatist leader Carles Puigdemont returned to Spain after seven years of self-imposed exile, defying a pending arrest warrant and igniting a police manhunt. 

Pictures and video footage showed the separatist politician, who fled Spain after embarking on a failed quest for Catalan independence in 2017, addressing a crowd of supporters in Barcelona.

“They were thinking they would celebrate my arrest … But they are wrong,” he told his followers according to a CNBC translation, rattling his fist in the air. “It was not, it is not, and it will never be a crime to have a referendum.”

He appeared to vanish in the crowd after the speech, despite a heavy police presence.

Barcelona’s authorities rapidly launched “Operation Cage,” setting up roadblocks within and just outside of Barcelona in an attempt to locate Puigdemont’s vehicle.

In a series of CNBC-translated updates on the X social media platform, Puigdemont appeared to taunt his pursuers, asking, “Am I inside the walls of Parliament?” and mocking media reports over the progress of Operation Cage, noting that “the ridiculousness is absolute.”

CNBC has contacted Spain’s Interior Ministry over whether Puigdemont has been detained.

A Catalan Interior Ministry spokesperson confirmed to Reuters that the separatist politician has yet to be captured.

Widely perceived as a symbol of the Catalonian separatist struggle against Spanish national control, the 61-year-old Puigdemont is sought on charges of embezzlement, which he denies.

Puigdemont’s chaotic return on Thursday takes the shine off a debate for the investiture of Spain’s former health minister and socialist candidate Salvador Illa as Catalonia’s new president. Illa’s platform won the largest share of the vote in the Catalan elections of May, dethroning Puigdemont’s hardline separatist Junts per Catalunya party.

Parliament was able to begin its Thursday session despite the ongoing manhunt.

Without directly naming Illa, Puigdemont appeared to ridicule him in a CNBC-translated social media update, “Imagine … the day they make you president, a pirate running in a car steals all your limelight.”

His reappearance also stoked anger in other parts of Spain’s political sphere. “We are living through a real embarrassment and an international shame promoted and allowed by the Government of the nation,” said Ignacio Garriga — Secretary-General of the far-right Vox party — of Puidgemont’s reappearance, according to a CNBC translation. “We must find those responsible.”

Puigdemont is at once a boon and a wild card for the Socialist administration of Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez, which depends on the votes of the Junts party to achieve parliamentary majority and has sought to revitalize relations with Catalonia. Sanchez only returned to his post late last year after two failed attempts by conservative rival Alberto Nunez Feijoo to rally parliamentary endorsement and form a government.

Puigdemont’s support is seen as likely to come with a steep price tag. A contentious amnesty Bill, that was penned by the Socialist government and could pardon participants in the Catalan independence movement, narrowly passed in late May. A Supreme Court decision excluded Puigdemont from receiving amnesty under the law, with a public prosecutor now filing an appeal against the motion, according to local media.



Source

White House blasts Boston Globe, CBS News and The Independent for coverage of ‘illegal orders’ video
Politics

White House blasts Boston Globe, CBS News and The Independent for coverage of ‘illegal orders’ video

U.S. President Donald Trump speaks with members of the media following a call with military service members, on Thanksgiving, in Palm Beach, Florida, U.S., Nov. 27, 2025. Anna Rose Layden | Reuters The White House on Friday evening named the Boston Globe, CBS News and The Independent as “media offender of the week,” blasting their […]

Read More
Trump says National Guard member dies after shooting, as ambush becomes political flashpoint
Politics

Trump says National Guard member dies after shooting, as ambush becomes political flashpoint

WASHINGTON, DC – AUGUST 21: U.S. President Donald Trump visits the U.S. Park Police Anacostia Operations Facility on August 21, 2025 in Washington, DC. Anna Moneymaker | Getty Images News | Getty Images President Donald Trump said on Thursday that a National Guard member had died after being shot in an ambush by an Afghan national near the White House, […]

Read More
Two National Guard members in critical condition after shooting near White House: AP source
Politics

Two National Guard members in critical condition after shooting near White House: AP source

An unidentified man in military fatigues lies on a stretcher inside an ambulance November 26, 2025 in downtown Washington, DC. Drew Angerer | AFP | Getty Images Two National Guard members were shot Wednesday near the White House and are in critical condition, according to a law enforcement official not authorized to discuss the matter […]

Read More