Britain cancels $1.7 billion of computing projects in setback for global AI ambitions

Britain cancels .7 billion of computing projects in setback for global AI ambitions


LONDON, UK – JUNE 12: The 9th edition of the Artificial Intelligence Summit kicks off with the participation of international technology companies, in London, United Kingdom on June 12, 2024. (Photo by Rasid Necati Aslim/Anadolu via Getty Images)

Anadolu | Anadolu | Getty Images

The U.K. government has canceled £1.3 billion ($1.7 billion) worth of computing infrastructure projects, in a big setback to the country’s ambitions to become a world leader in artificial intelligence.

A government spokesperson confirmed to CNBC that two major taxpayer-funded spending commitments, worth £500 million and £800 million, respectively, were being dropped in order to prioritize other fiscal plans.

The £500 million pledge, which was promised by former Prime Minister Rishi Sunak’s government last year, was meant to go to the AI Research Resource, a development initiative aimed at bolstering the U.K.’s compute infrastructure.

Meanwhile, the £800 million commitment, also announced last year, would have funded the creation of a next-generation exascale computer, capable of performing 1 trillion calculations a second, at the University of Edinburgh.

These initiatives would have boosted the U.K.’s ability to build high-performance infrastructure capable of running advanced AI models, which consume lots of power and require huge amounts of training data.

The newly elected Labour government said that neither of these pledges will be taken forward now.

“We are absolutely committed to building technology infrastructure that delivers growth and opportunity for people across the U.K.,” a spokesperson for the U.K.’s Department for Science, Innovation and Technology (DSIT), told CNBC via email.

The spokesperson added that the government is taking “difficult and necessary spending decisions across all departments in the face of billions of pounds of unfunded commitments.”

“This is essential to restore economic stability and deliver our national mission for growth,” the DSIT spokesperson said.

Last month, the government launched an AI Opportunities Action Plan. It said this plan would seek to identify how the U.K. can boost its computing infrastructure to better suit its needs and consider ways AI and other emerging technologies can best support Britain’s industrial strategy.

Earlier this week, British Finance Minister Rachel Reeves announced a raft of spending cuts after revealing Labour had inherited a projected £22 billion ($28 billion) of unfunded pledges from the center-right Conservatives.

Under Sunak’s administration, the government had made leading in AI a key priority, hosting a global AI safety summit at the famous Bletchley Park country house, which was formerly home to the World War II codebreakers who helped Britain defeat Nazi Germany.

Prime Minister Keir Starmer’s government is looking to bring in new statutory regulations for the AI industry, in contrast with his predecessor, who opted against issuing formal legislation for AI on the grounds that it would restrict innovation.

The Labour government was widely expected to announce the introduction of the first-ever U.K. AI Bill in a speech delivered by King Charles III last month. However, this didn’t happen. A DSIT spokesperson instead told CNBC the government would consult on plans to regulate AI in due course.



Source

U.S. investor Wood lambastes Swatch, proposes overhaul to company’s board, FT reports
World

U.S. investor Wood lambastes Swatch, proposes overhaul to company’s board, FT reports

Swatch external store sign Peter Dazeley | Getty Images News | Getty Images U.S. investor Steven Wood accused Swatch Group of “worst-in-class governance”, proposing changes to the Swiss watchmaker’s board and governance reforms, the Financial Times reported on Saturday. Wood, the founder of GreenWood Investors, which says it holds about 0.5% of Swatch‘s share capital, has […]

Read More
Hong Kong blaze spotlights enduring role of city’s foreign domestic helpers
World

Hong Kong blaze spotlights enduring role of city’s foreign domestic helpers

Firefighters spray water on flames as a major fire burns through several apartment blocks at the Wang Fuk Court residential estate. Sopa Images | Lightrocket | Getty Images Indonesian domestic helper Fita spoke of the confusion inside the Hong Kong high-rise apartment complex as it was engulfed in flames on Wednesday in the city’s deadliest […]

Read More
Hong Kong mourns victims of blaze that killed 128 and counting
World

Hong Kong mourns victims of blaze that killed 128 and counting

Hong Kong’s Chief Executive John Lee (C) and other government officials observe three minutes of silence to mourn victims of the Wang Fuk Court residential estate fire, at the Central government offices in Hong Kong on Nov. 29, 2025. Peter Parks | Afp | Getty Images Hong Kong on Saturday mourned the 128 people known […]

Read More