North Korean missile launch raises alarm in Washington

North Korean missile launch raises alarm in Washington


WASHINGTON — The Biden administration responded on many stages Tuesday to North Korea’s most current prolonged-assortment ballistic missile launch, achieving out to allies in the location on diplomatic and navy fronts, and at the chief amount by U.S. President Joe Biden.

The missile was fired late Monday, traveling over Japan early on Tuesday morning in advance of landing in the Pacific Ocean.

This most up-to-date North Korean missile take a look at — the 23rd just one so much this yr — was distinct due to the fact it marked the initially time in 5 several years that a North Korean missile had been fired immediately more than Japan. Citizens in northern prefectures awoke to sirens and instructions to just take deal with.

On Tuesday early morning, Biden spoke to Japanese Primary Minister Fumio Kishida to enhance America’s “ironclad determination to Japan’s defense,” and understand the start “as a hazard to the Japanese people,” the White Property said in a readout of the get in touch with.

The presidential get in touch with adopted Monday night conversations held by National Protection Adviser Jake Sullivan and Secretary of Condition Antony Blinken with their Japanese and South Korean counterparts, White House press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre explained to reporters at a briefing Tuesday.

Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin also spoke by mobile phone with his counterparts in Tokyo and Seoul, according to Pentagon readouts of the simply call.

A unifying thread working by way of all the formal readouts of cellular phone phone calls was the phrase “ironclad,” which is how every single of these U.S. officers explained America’s dedication to the defense of Japan and South Korea.

This dedication and its navy alliances were audible and seen Tuesday in the skies previously mentioned northeastern Asia.

In airspace above the Yellow Sea off the Korean peninsula, the U.S. and South Korea done joint aerial flight and precision targeting routines on Tuesday in response to the missile launch. The instruction work out incorporated firing at a goal on an uninhabited island.

A related joint exercise was held for U.S. Maritime Corps fighters and Japan air self-protection fighters, Jean-Pierre mentioned at the White Household.

While the exercises Tuesday have been held precisely in response to the most up-to-date missile start, they also served to bolster trilateral coordination in the encounter of a threat that keeps increasing, Countrywide Safety Council spokesman John Kirby explained.

“Every time [North Koreans] do 1 of these launches, some are profitable. Some are not. Some are only partially successful. But every time they do this, they master. They get greater. They get much more able,” Kirby stated on Fox Information Tuesday.

“Which is what would make us want to stay vigilant, and make guaranteed that we’ve bought the capabilities ourselves in the region to defend our national curiosity and those of our allies,” he explained.



Source

U.S. investor Wood lambastes Swatch, proposes overhaul to company’s board, FT reports
World

U.S. investor Wood lambastes Swatch, proposes overhaul to company’s board, FT reports

Swatch external store sign Peter Dazeley | Getty Images News | Getty Images U.S. investor Steven Wood accused Swatch Group of “worst-in-class governance”, proposing changes to the Swiss watchmaker’s board and governance reforms, the Financial Times reported on Saturday. Wood, the founder of GreenWood Investors, which says it holds about 0.5% of Swatch‘s share capital, has […]

Read More
Hong Kong blaze spotlights enduring role of city’s foreign domestic helpers
World

Hong Kong blaze spotlights enduring role of city’s foreign domestic helpers

Firefighters spray water on flames as a major fire burns through several apartment blocks at the Wang Fuk Court residential estate. Sopa Images | Lightrocket | Getty Images Indonesian domestic helper Fita spoke of the confusion inside the Hong Kong high-rise apartment complex as it was engulfed in flames on Wednesday in the city’s deadliest […]

Read More
Hong Kong mourns victims of blaze that killed 128 and counting
World

Hong Kong mourns victims of blaze that killed 128 and counting

Hong Kong’s Chief Executive John Lee (C) and other government officials observe three minutes of silence to mourn victims of the Wang Fuk Court residential estate fire, at the Central government offices in Hong Kong on Nov. 29, 2025. Peter Parks | Afp | Getty Images Hong Kong on Saturday mourned the 128 people known […]

Read More