At the very least nine dead as flash floods strike central Italy

At the very least nine dead as flash floods strike central Italy


A man or woman walks following significant rains and deadly floods strike the central Italian location of Marche, in Cantiano, Italy, September 16, 2022. 

Yara Nardi | Reuters

At the very least 9 folks ended up killed by torrential right away rains and floods in the central Italian region of Marche, authorities mentioned on Friday, as rescuers continued to research for 4 still missing.

In Cantiano, a village near to the neighbouring Umbria area, people were being clearing mud from the streets, Reuters footage confirmed, soon after torrents experienced swept as a result of a number of towns leaving a trail of trapped and destroyed cars.

“My fruit store has been turned upside down,” Luciana Agostinelli, a neighborhood resident, advised Reuters.

Close to 400 millimetres (15.75 inches) of rain fell within two to three hours, the civil protection company mentioned, a 3rd of the total normally obtained in a yr.

“It was like an earthquake,” Ludovico Caverni, the mayor of Serra Sant’Abbondio, one more village hit by the floods, told RAI condition radio.

A common watch of a chasm right after heavy rains and lethal floods hit the central Italian location of Marche, in Cantiano, Italy, September 16, 2022.

Yara Nardi | Reuters

The head of the countrywide civil protection agency, Fabrizio Curcio, met area authorities in Marche’s funds town of Ancona to assess the hurt, though bash chiefs campaigning for Italy’s Sept. 25 election expressed their solidarity.

Footage launched by fire brigades confirmed rescuers on rafts trying to evacuate people today in the seaside city of Senigallia, when other folks attempted to very clear an underpass of particles.

Paola Pino d’Astore, an qualified at the Italian Culture of Environmental Geology (SIGEA), informed Reuters the floods were being owing to weather transform and had been not easy to forecast.

“It is an irreversible phenomenon, a taste of what our long run will be,” she said.

Some 300 firefighters are at the moment operating in the area and have rescued dozens of folks who had climbed on roofs and trees overnight to escape the floods, the fireplace brigade reported.

People today function to very clear the way after hefty rains and lethal floods strike the central Italian location of Marche, in Cantiano, Italy, September 16, 2022. 

Yara Nardi | Reuters

Stefano Aguzzi, head of civil protection at Marche’s regional federal government, claimed the downpour was far stronger than experienced been forecast.

“We have been provided a typical alert for rain, but no person had expected everything like this,” he informed reporters.

Enrico Letta, chief of the centre-remaining Democratic Get together, stated it would suspend campaigning in Marche “in a sign of mourning” and to enable its local activists to take part in efforts to aid the flood-hit communities.



Source

Iran partially closes Strait of Hormuz, a vital oil chokepoint, as U.S. talks get underway
World

Iran partially closes Strait of Hormuz, a vital oil chokepoint, as U.S. talks get underway

Iranian Navy soldiers at an armed speed boat in Persian Gulf near the strait of Hormuz about 1320km (820 miles) south of Tehran, April 30, 2019. Morteza Nikoubazl | Nurphoto | Getty Images Iran partially closed the strategically vital Strait of Hormuz on Tuesday, state media reported, citing “security precautions” as Tehran’s Revolutionary Guards conduct […]

Read More
Silver miners fall in premarket trading as the metal drops 2%
World

Silver miners fall in premarket trading as the metal drops 2%

Silver bars appear in a photo illustration as silver prices move amid shifting industrial demand and global market volatility in Brussels, Belgium, on December 24, 2025. Jonathan Raa | Nurphoto | Getty Images Silver and gold fell in early premarket trading on Tuesday as investors awaited delayed economic data, with little geopolitical news during the […]

Read More
India discussing age-based restrictions with social media firms, top minister says
World

India discussing age-based restrictions with social media firms, top minister says

Indian IT Minister Ashwini Vaishnaw takes questions from reporters at the AI Impact Summit on Feb. 17, 2026. Arjun Kharpal | CNBC NEW DELHI — India is discussing age-based restrictions with social media companies, Information Technology Minister Ashwini Vaishnaw said on Tuesday. “This is something which has now been accepted by many countries, that age-based […]

Read More